Is it really that bad for us if we don't get sunshine?

I live in an apartment building and we have a patio. The reason I don't go out on it is because a lot of the people that I live with don't wear masks or social distance, so I just stay in my apartment and when I do have to go throw trash down the shoot or go anywhere I always wear my mask, however, I don't like to sit out for fresh air or sunshine or go and visit anybody because my mask is uncomfortable and I'd rather not wear it if I don't have to, so I stay home even though I'm cooping myself up. Well today my grandmother was giving me a hard time on the phone about not getting enough sunshine and telling me it's bad for my health if I don't get sunshine and I shouldn't mind wearing my mask and going out and seeing people when I would rather have it my way or no way meaning I would rather stay in my apartment even if I'm cooping myself up and only go out for sunshine and see people whenever we get vaccines and this is over because I don't want to go out or see anybody if there are restrictions like I have to wear a mask and I have to social distance and I'd rather wait till this is over and then I can do what I want. So is it really gonna kill me to not get sunshine? 

• Audrey

No It's not gonna kill you. I'm with you. I only slink out to get groceries. I feel embarrassed and humiliated being forced to cover my face like a criminal. So it's fine. Just stay inside where it's free and comfortable.

There's been some studies to suggest that Sunshine is good for us it produces vitamin D. Which is very beneficial for our health I know when I'm out in the sun quite a lot I feel a lot better than I do when I coop myself up inside

go out of your house and get it. Sunshine is good and Sun is considered to be A GOD. go get it, talk to the sun, and you will feel that someone is hearing you. Same with moom

its not good to not get vitamin d---so drink fortified milk or take a supplement.

Yes we get vitamin D from sunshine and if we don't get enough exposure to sunlight we can get a deficiency which can lead to multiple physical and mental health problems I speak from experience I've had a vitamin D deficiency in the past 

take vitamin D tablets. 

Sunshine is vital in human and crops. It is relevant for us to take it irrespective of the vitamin A pill

Light does have an effect on our moods, and it would be good for you to spend some time outdoors, going for walks. Exercise is important. When I say light, I'm not just talking about sunlight. Artificial light can make a difference. It's better to have dim light, esp. reddish light, at night because it helps you to go to sleep. Many people like to use the bright lamps that were designed for seasonal depression. They're good for depressions in general - preventing cases and even treating cases. If you go to Metapsychology, you can read a psychologist's review of Dr Steve Ilardi's book ("a splendid book").He's the therapist and researcher who headed the Univ of Kansas lifestyle-depression project.  

More info on mood research in my answers. Click on my name and read if you like.

Go for a walk.  The exercise will do you good.

sun helps with vitamin D