Dan asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 2 months ago

Old tv aerial new tv?

Hello, my grandparents have had an old tv plugged into an aerial with no problems for the last 15 years, we recently upgraded the tv but it can not pick up a signal through the TV aerial, is this because we need a new lead or a faulty tv?

Thanks in advance

I have a 200mile digital antenna.

I found out that stations broadcast in VHF or UHF.

I get most all the channels on my TV except 2 that I like.

I can get the 2 missing channels running the antenna lead through my DVDR.

While all the other channels broadcast in UHF the 2 other channels broadcast in VHF.

Your grandparents could have been running their connection through a DVD or VHS player that has a digital convertor built in. All do.

Could be you need a convertor or a signal booster.

A lot of the new digital antennas come with a booster that you plug into the outlet and run the lead in series in the antenna cable to the TV.

Old TV worked, new TV doesn’t: I’d be looking at the connection, maybe the wiring was jostled... or whether the tv’s tuner is in cable mode rather than antenna mode.

Have you done a channel scan with the new tv? "Out of the box" it won't be set up to recognise any channels.

in other words - RTFM!

Aerials are analog antennae. You need a digital one. You can still pick up network shows that aren't on cable or from the internet, but you definitely need an antenna that can pick them up. They're really very cheap and usually plug right into the back of your new tv. You no longer need the rooftop antenna. 

The answers given pertaining to digital vs analog are ridiculous.   

ALL TV signals have been digital for enough years 

that your grandparents MUST have already been receiving them. 

Changing the TV does NOT change what comes over the air! 

Antennas can Not discriminate between analog and digital signals. 

The old TV must have a more sensitive tuner than the new one does. 

You can expect to need a more effective antenna. 

Consult a local home theater installer for in-person assistance.

• garry

new tvs are digital , they work off digital signals , chances are the old antenna is not digital in the first place , mewer ones have signals from higher frequency , get a new one after 15 years , antennas dont last for ever.

NTSC TV was analogue and not so directional. Digital ATSC TV that we have now must have a digital tuner and the antenna must be aimed directly at the transmitter, since DTV is extremely directional. Besides that, digital broadcasts can be blocked by buildings in the way.

not that much replace old is gold 

How old was the old TV?  It is possible that it was able to pick up analogue channels, which is what would come over the antenna.  The new TV is probably digital only so it can not understand the analogue signals coming over the antenna.  You may need to look through the settings on the TV and see if there is an option for antenna input.  that will have to be turned on before the new TV can see anything over the antenna.