What does good musical taste mean?

Most people mean musical taste that matches their own.

• James

That's a tough question to answer. I am generalizing a bit here, but I find a lot of rap and pop music to be too simplistic and unimaginative. Justin Bieber is a name that come to mind.

At the other end of the spectrum there is music that that is complex and imaginative, but lacks memorability. This is a problem with a lot of newer "classical" music. Paul Mealor is a highly renowned composer of "classical" and religious music. I have been to a few performances Paul Mealor's music because I have friends who are classical singers. While the music sounds complex and beautiful, I find myself unable to remember any of it after the concert. Justin Bieber's "Baby," by contrast is such dreadfully simple and annoying song, but it is memorable. It will haunt me till the day I bloody well die.

In my opinion the best music somewhere in the middle; being imaginative but also being memorable, having a good balance of both. Having said that, my favorite bands include The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Supertramp, Jethro Tull, and The Who. My favorite solo artists include Michael Jackson, Jimi Hendrix, Peter Gabriel, and Sting. I also enjoy Mozart, Beethoven, and Tchaikovsky, among others.

Unlike Justin Bieber (memorable but not imaginative) and Paul Mealor (imaginative but not memorable), these bands and musicians meet the criteria of being both imaginative and memorable.