james asked in SportsBoxing · 2 months ago

What will happen if you kill somebody in a physical sport?

Lets say boxing, kick boxing, rugby And so on if something happened accidentally.

(for instance your boxing and a punch causes something and they die)

Would you be charged with murder/man slaughter?

(I know its very rare but im asking out of curiosity)

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Willie
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

No charges will be filed and you may not want to compete ever again.

• 2 months ago

There have been several ring deaths over the years. There were no legal charges reason being it is an occupational hazard. The sport of boxing and MMA are very dangerous when a man enters the ring he could very well be killed. I can think of a wrestler and a football player that both died during a match and a game. I can also think of another fight June 16 1983 MSG on the Duran -Davey Moore undercard a fighter did not die or get killed but the one combatant Luis Resto and his trainer Panama Lewis were criminally and legally charged and both did jail time. Resto pounded Billy Collins for 10 rounds. It was unbelievable because Resto was not known for being a puncher and was not heavy handed or fisted. When the fight ended Collins eyes were both slits and the gloves Resto was wearing were discovered to be tampered with and some padding was removed. Collins never fought again due to his injuries. He was despondent and ended up in a deep despair and commiting suicide a very sad story. The point of this story was this was not an accident it was intentional and planned. I believe one of the charged against Resto and Lewis was conspiracy. The act of malice and in boxing it is all for sport and the fighters do not mean to hurt the other person usually. 

• 2 months ago

It happens although not every time but there will never be a time when two men facing each other in the ring and aiming to hurt each other, knock the hell out of one another that ring deaths wont occur. It's inevitable just like death is. You can die while soundly asleep, more so with one guy aiming to pull his best punch at you. Boxing is a sport, you're safe of any charge whatsoever

What will happen if you kill somebody in a physical sport?

Most of the time, the other guy that did the damage was never the same afterwards..

• snafu
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I’m guessing that it would depend on the particular circumstances.  In boxing for instance, there have been deaths and no charges brought, as far as I’m aware.  Unfortunate sporting casualties under governing bodies rules, with all the appropriate safety measures applied the boxer, authorities, etc would be free from potential arrest and charges.  However if a boxer was to administer a dangerous punch say to the back of the head, deliberately, that was fatal, then charges I imagine could be brought.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

It has already happened in the past, just last year Patrick Day died after suffering brain trauma in a boxing match.

The other fighter won't be charged with anything unless he was intentionally trying to cause serious harm or kill his opponent.

• 2 months ago

There will be an enquiry into the facts and circumstance of the case.  And you could be charged with unintentional manslaughter.  From there it is up to the courts.

Peace.

• 2 months ago

If they die accidentally, you would only be charged if the police believe you acted negligently (outside of established sports rules, for example, or failed to notice signs of ill health that should have been obvious).

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.