What is meant by "Fear of God is the beginning of wisdom."?

Also I had another question: How can one claim all Muslims are going to hell if only Jesus has access to the Lamb's Book of Life?

• Paul

Look up "fear" in the dictionary. You will find it has quite a few definitions, one of which is "tremendous awe and reverence". This is the "fear"with which we approach God.

The word "fear" in the Hebrew has more then one meaning. It means to revere or to frighten. So I do not fear God, I revere Him.

The Bible is full of wisdom and if you revere The Lord, He will guide you in the knowledge of His Word.

Proverbs 1:7 "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction."

I think it means that if we respect God and love him, we'll be more likely to do as he says and avoid eternal trouble.

• Misty

That is how fear based religions work, they use  fear to keep you in line.

I think it's like this: '' Fear of godS is the beginning of bondage '' ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Always let scripture interpret scripture

Proverbs 3:7 KJV — Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.

Proverbs 9:10b KJV — Knowledge of the holy is understanding.

Read all of Pro 8 where Solomon likens wisdom to Christ.

Proverbs 8:22-36 KJV — The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old. I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was. When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water. Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth: While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world. When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth: When he established the clouds above: when he strengthened the fountains of the deep: When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth: Then I was by him, as one brought up with him: and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him; Rejoicing in the habitable part of his earth; and my delights were with the sons of men. Now therefore hearken unto me, O ye children: for blessed are they that keep my ways. Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not. Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors. For whoso findeth me findeth life, and shall obtain favour of the LORD. But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death.

The word "fear" has changed in meaning and/or connotation in the 400 years since it was used in that translation.  At that time, it meant (or had the connotation) respect and/or honor in the sense that you "feared" the king.

On the other hand, there are and have been many, many people that were wise did not fear, honor or respect God, so I would call this verse accurate in any way.

When one fears God's wrath, they are less likely to foolishly do sinful things that would upset him.  In any endeavor, it's always the wisest path to avoid sin.  I'll give you an example.

I knew a man who was upset by something someone said or did in a bar where he was at.  The wisest thing to do would have been to simply walk away from the situation.  Instead he punched the man.  Aiming for his face, he accidentally struck him right in the throat, killing him.  (Who'd've guessed you could kill someone like that?)  He got 30 years for murder.  Had he had a fear of God, there's a good chance he wouldn't have even been in that bar to begin with.  People end up doing all sorts of stupid things that hurt themselves or others because they have no fear of God.

Respect and obey God's WORD, and God will provide understanding of His WORD.  Knowledge + Understanding = Wisdom.

• yesmar

In that culture, it was meant as a measure of piety to "fear" the God of the Old Testament.