Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 month ago

when they said yesterday that for the first time in 21 weeks....the unemployment number rose by under 1 million....?

what are they saying? that is good news? that it for the first time was less than a million ADDED to the current unemployment number? am i understanding this correctly? what is the total number now? and how any percentage of the work force is that? how do they determine the size of the Work force too btw?

OKAY...LET ME MAKE THIS A LITTLE SIMPLER HERE....WHAT IS THE CURRENT NUMBER OF UNEMPLOYED..? WHAT WAS IT 21 WEEKS AGO?

• Rich B

Those are new, first time applications.

Here's an answer I gave to a nearly identical question recently:

Here's all you need to know:

https://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_htgm.htm

*The current number of unemployed individuals in the USA is about 16 million (or at least it was, as of mid-July), according to the definitions the BLS uses.

*Why "nobody seems to know this number?" I have no idea. Unemployment statistics are widely reported and readily available on the web. I'm not sure who you are talking to....

*Will they be going back to work soon? I hope so. The answer I think is - "yes" for some, and "no" for others. *most* people will be going back to work sometime in 2021, in my estimation (some sooner obviously). But jobs in some industries will be quite slow to recover, I'm afraid. Travel and tourism in particular, I think will be very slow to return to the employment levels of pre-COVID.

*How do they determine the current size of the workforce? - check out the link I posted for the full details. But basically the "workforce" = those employed + those looking for work. It excludes those who are not working and not seeking work - so not stay-at-home spouses, students, retirees, etc. They measure this by doing a population survey each month.

Hope this answers your questions!

Have you noticed that we have had a pandemic?

• John W

It's still something like 38 million that have filed for unemployment insurance since the virus hit.

Every thurs is jobless claims.  The first friday of every month gives the unemployment & jobs numbers

• Leo

The gist of it is that things still suck, but they don't suck quite as much.

Yes , fewer people filing for unemployment benefits is better than more people filing for unemployment benefits