Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 2 months ago

Whose version of "MacArthur Park" do you prefer: Richard Harris' or Donna Summer's?

Both atists made covers of this classic jazz standard. The former, a pop cover; the latter, a disco cover.

Whose won you over more and why?

Nick, I agree with you that the lyrics are quite peculiar. But, in a sense, that's partially what made it such a good piece of music.

• Nick

I hate every version I've ever heard, but I also love them. It's the most ridiculous song. "Someone left a cake out in the rain and I don't think I can take it cause it took so long to bake it and I'll never have that recipe again" is on my short list for ultimate so-bad-it's-good lyrics

The version that I remember as a kid growing up in the 70’s was Donna Summer’s. They played that song constantly on the radio back then

I don't think covers are ever as good as the original.  Richard Harris's MacArthur Park is a classic.  Ask anyone who's been around long enough to even remember that song and they'll say it's a Richard Harris song.

(Perhaps the exception is The Beatles.  When they covered a song, it became a Beatles' song.  Millions of people believe 'Till There Was You' was written by Lennon and McCarthy!)

RICHARD HARRIS...IT IS THE ONLY VERSION IVE SEEN.

• so much time passed and i don't know the original song