Two week notice?

Do I have to give a two week notice before quitting a job? What happens if I don’t?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

its really best that you do. it can keep you rehireable.

• 1 month ago

depends on the job, but if you want your last paycheck, a 2 week notice is a good idea

• L
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

It all depends on the job.  In Professional jobs - a 2-week notice is required.

In a minimum wage job - just quit.

• You don't *have* to, as in legally.. but ethnically, you should..

It helps because if you want a good recommendation from your old job when applying for a new job, then you should give a 2 week notice.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Nothing "happens" except you will probably not get a good reference. Depending on the job, one week may be enough time--or no notice if you are having problems with the employer or the work. If you NEED that reference, then work out your notice. If you don't, then quit and don't look back. 

• 1 month ago

You should.  If you don't, and later try to change jobs again, they might give you a bad reference.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not legally required, but the right thing to do.

• 1 month ago

They can't deduct any pay, take no notice of that twit. Notice can be different, it could be a week, two weeks or a month or anything else, look at your contract. Nobody is a prisoner, they can't stop you leaving without notice and must still pay for all work done and leftover holiday pay if you have any, however leaving without notice might stop you going back there or they might not give you a reference.

• Depends on your job and their policies with regards to quitting with out notice. 

With my work place, you don't get a reference letter and you may not be welcomed back if you apply for the job again.

• If you don't give notice, they'll deduct 2 weeks pay in lieu.  If you're not due 2 weeks pay, they'll sue you for it.  Or they might just be glad to get rid of you.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.