He just wants to be special? ?

I got my hours reduced pretty badly at a restaurant I work at due to covid, and when I came back after lockdown the head chef said "the only reason you're here is because the other dishwasher quit" because I am currently only working weekends. Why do you suppose he felt the need to say something negative, does he just feel like being special? Like "haha I got the hours and you got nothing!" I call BS on the covid thing bringing us together. lol

@Gummy Roach - Yea I found another full time job, starting some time next week, I'm just wondering why he felt the need to be negative, during pandemic it would be good if people were more positive. 

Head chefs tend to be a little full of themselves.

I wouldn't sweat it.

you are correct on both....

There probably is something he's not telling you.  I wouldn't press it though.  What it comes down to is how badly do you wish to remain working there?  Does the job still meet your needs at the moment?  If not, would you be able to find another one easily?  If you're thinking about quitting, I don't recommend just up and quitting until you have something else lined up.  That is, unless your current job is just plain unbearable, in which case, quit imediately.  Good luck.