Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Is it a mid life crisis  when you want to buy a bmw convertible ? ?

I have been driving a 2002 Honda Civic for 18 years and it has 160k miles, during all these years I replaced the starter myself at 150k miles. Other than that I would describe it as an ugly car on the outside but on the inside it’s been so reliable and still is. I’m now 36 years old and I wanted to dump it for a 2015 bmw convertible. So I went to the used car dealer with my check book and ready to write a check for $15,000. But before I did I told them to put the car up on the lift so I could inspect underneath the vehicle. I brought  my little flash light and I seen the rear differential was heavily corroded and there was a leak coming from the pinion seal. The used car dealer was irritated as he told me that in his 5 years of selling used cars that no one ever asked him to put it up on the lift to inspect the underneath of the vehicle. He still wanted me to sign the papers and I still wanted the car. But I knew I needed to cool off and think it through. Fortunately I had to leave for work but I was still disillusioned but during my 8 hour shift I had time to cool off and I decided to not get the convertible which turned out to be attractive on the outside but ugly on the inside. Did I make the right choice in sticking with the civic? 

HELL YES!!!! You did the right thing. My hat's off to you. Had you bought that BMW, you could've been looking at a very expensive repair. You did what was best for you. There are other BMW convertibles out there. You'll find the right one. 

It's hard to find used Z4's in great shape, if that's the convertible your thinking of. Some gift trust kids and the like own many of these cars and just beat them to a pulp in a few years because of the ego games played with them. All 2 seaters are like 'child abused' cars, so be very careful.  I traveled the country and finally found a cherry but it took several years and I had to fly and rent hotels to find it. If you don't have that kind of determination and time, forget about finding one. Economic crisis will bring owners out of the closet to sell sometimes. The televised auctions are a good source for classic ones. Most 2 seaters are hand built cars, low production, and HARD to find. Don't buy any sight unseen, they're very different than an everyday car. Most middle aged people that have the cherry BMW's, Porsches, Mercedes, or Jaguar 2 seaters drive them only on the weekend and probably were bought in another state. It becomes a quest to find a good one, so keep looking. You can hire a buyer to find one too, but can you trust them?

Who cares whether it's a midlife crisis, really?

If you can aford it then buy it. That's my best advice because we only have one life (at least in this realm) and will be a long time dead.

BMW's are terrible cars for reliability, you made the right choice to walk away.

If you have $15k in the bank ready to spend on a car, there are a lot of nice vehicles you can upgrade to that will still be reliable.

And who cares what the car looks like? What are you trying to do - impress high school kids?

• F

Go for a Honda S2000. Better performance than most BMW convertibles save an M3, better handling and more reliable than even other Hondas. Revs higher than any other mainstream car. Great fun.

It's not a midlife crisis. It's just a bad decision. You'll be spending a lot of cash on maintenance and repairs.

No there is Nothing Special about a BMW

I owned 5 Mercedes Benz the first i purchased when i was 19

The dealer was an *** and a liar, for that reason alone your decision was sound.

Buy a V8 Mustang.  Not really reliable but cheaper to fix than a Bimmer.

You made the sensible choice.   

One old woman on her deathbed wished that she had used the good china that she saved for most of her life.

Maybe on your deathbed you will say that you wish you had sprung for the BMW convertible.

'

I bought a Ferrari once.  It was well used and while cheap by Ferrari standards, it was still expensive.  It was no end of trouble and spent more time sitting in the shop or in my driveway than it did running.  I eventually sold it, at a loss.  Sometimes I am proud of my folly, sometimes ashamed.