Boy
Boy asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

My power generator says not to exceed 6.5 amps, my leaf blower is 10 amps and still works, should I continue using it? ?

I have a power generator-  tailgator 2 cycle generator Harbor freight 

900w /700 running watts

It has labeled “not to exceed 6.5amps” though the manual says it has is 7 amps

I ran a electric leaf blower on the generator which is 10 amps sun joe all purpose leaf blower.

It worked on high and low speed. 

Is there any risk of damaging the generator? 

"My power generator says not to exceed 6.5 amps, my leaf blower is 10 amps and still works, should I continue using it? ?"

It might seem to operate fine for you because your leaf blowing load is of an intermittent duty rather than a constant or heavy one.  But understand that you are stressing out the generator by overloading it.

The amp rating is also due to the conductor size, including the generator windings. So you are overheating the conductors by drawing more current than the rated specs call for.  Again, all seems fine by the way you are using it, but you are not doing your equipment any favours when it comes to life expectancy.

Weed eater and now leaf blower troll strikes again.

So you are wondering if running something at 153% of Maximum is going to damage your Generator.  

It may not outright damage it, but it may cause it to fail prematurely.   If it is still under warranty don't expect them to cover any damage.