Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

should I use an oil-based or exterior latex to paint my metal front door at my house?

the surface of the door feels really smooth and it is white (the door came like this) do I have to also sand it down before I use primer

the person who wen the house before me died and the doors look new, I tried using exterior latex and the paint can peel off if I rub my fingers really hard on it. Is the white baked finished on or is that a white oil based primer?

Rustoleum is for painting metal and doesn't need a primer coat or sanding, just make sure it's clean and dry. Pick a day that isn't too hot or humid.

If the doors are really smooth and glossy it's probably a factory finish not primer, Latex paint will not adhere very well. I would recommend spray paint. Rust Oleum has a type called 2X (paint and primer in one) which adheres to difficult surfaces very well. You don't necessarily have to sand the door, a little trick is to use a liberal amount of scouring powder to clean the door, you will need to remove all that latex though.

New doors are primed with white paint, so all you do is paint over the white, but use oil-based paint for best results. If you have already tried latex, you are stuck with that. It should still work. 

both water (latex) or oil base will work 

oil is better longer lasting 

yes always sand before primer and between coats is often a good idea (light sanding) get off any loose stuff and slight tooth for the primer to stick to 

but if this is a older door and you do not know the current paint is... I would use the  (shellac) (alcohol clean up)  KILZ* brand primer on it  this will make sure a good transition no mater what is on it now and what you put on 

if you put latex direct over oil base it will peel off in sheets 

* there are other very good brands of shellac primer 

Latex means water based, so what is it, oil or water?

Most new metal doors come pre primed so you probably don't need to prime it but you should wipe it down to get any dust or dirt that might have accumulated on it. Check with the seller to see if you really need to prime it. Some metal doors are now coming with a white baked on finish. 

TBH we don't really care. I would use an oil based paint or at least one specified for metal. If the surface is dull it just needs cleaning with detergent and rinsing well.