Hestia asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

why didn't my vet give my dog pain meds?

My dog got a neutering surgery but was sent home with antibiotics? is this supposed to help with his pain or is it the wrong thing to give him? it's not really a painkiller i dont think, so what can it be for?

• keerok

Unlike humans, dogs can tolerate pain better and since pain relievers actually delay any healing of the wound, they are usually not given to minor surgeries like neutering. Antibiotics are a must though to prevent infection of the wound which can be fatal if not controlled.

Antibiotics are to prevent post surgical infection of the wound site. And this kind of surgery generally causes minimal pain. It's not major surgery, and the recovery time is rapid, so he shouldn't need any pain meds. If you really think he's uncomfortable for some reason, try giving him an aspirin tablet in his food. That's what I do with my dog when she has issues with her arthritis. She's nearly 14 years old, and it hasn't hurt her.

an ANTIBIOTIC is to prevent infections after surgery.  If he is in pain call the vet and ask what you can give him.  I have gotten pain killers after this type of surgery, but none of my dogs needed them.

• Ocimom

Most vets ask if you want pain meds to take home.  Neutering is relatively pain free.  No need for a male dog to have pain meds after neutering.  Spaying is more of a surgery and usually requires some after spaying pain meds for a few days.  Not all people want the pain medications.  None of my cats ever got pain meds for spay/neuter.

Antibotics are for infection - not for pain.  The antibotics are for possible infection after surgery.

Didn't the Vet give him a shot of something for pain?  Most of the dogs I had neutered didn't have much pain & many were as active afterwards as they were before the procedure.  Couldn't keep them down if I tried.  Some dogs, like some people, have a very high pain tolerance, while others whimper & whine in pain.  Dogs are stoic about their pain.

Cos antibiotics avoid the probability of infection  And pain meds dont in general they being designed to eradicate great pain only. Which your dog is not experiencing currently. Though the possibility of infection is very  very real indeed still..

Source(s): are you by any chance home schooled also Hestia........ Baaaaah

Dogs generally do not need painkillers after a neuter

• *****

Neuter procedures for a male dog are not considered very painful if they are routine with no complications. He will have been given a shot during surgery for pain and inflammation that should last a day or two. Discomfort once that wears off should be minimal and should not require medication, but if your dog seems to be in much pain, certainly contact your vet to discuss. The antibiotics are to prevent infection. 

• Maxi

The meds given during the neutering is enough to last them up to 48 hours, In so far as antibiotics they are only given when the Vet decides they are really needed and only given to reduce the incidence of infection

If your dog is very active and showed signs of self-injury (licking at neuter site), prophylactic antibiotics may be appropriate and pain meds not indicated.

I'm guessing the vet is a bit old-school.