Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentEmbassies & Consulates · 1 month ago

How do we make this work?

I’m a white Australian, living in Australia and he’s an African American, living in America.  We have a long distance relationship.  Brad is currently finishing his college course and I work part time.  The only problem I can see is that I can’t work full time due to having mild schizophrenia.  If he can find full time work and we can marry, can I get a green card and move to America to be with the man I love?  

Mild schizophrenia means I’m basically a normal person, but I will have visions occasionally if I’m under high enough stress.

The income threshold for immigration sponsorship in the US is really low, barely above the poverty line. He could however obtain a joint sponsor and that person could sign the Affidavit of Support. Sponsoring a fiancee goes faster than sponsoring a spouse for some reason. So your best bet would be for him to apply to sponsor you before you get married. You'd be processed in Australia (under non COVID-19 conditions this was taking about none months) then you'd join him in the US and have 90 days to marry and proceed to getting a green card.