Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 2 months ago

Is it legal to marry/have sex with your former Foster Child?

So, I admittedly don’t know much about the foster care system aside from what friends have told me, but from what I understand, the guardianship from fostering a child is temporary, unlike with adoption. 

So, I’ve heard a story about a foster child who, after turning 18 and graduating, fell in love with her foster parent, and they got together and had a family of their own. Well, I personally find it a bit creepy, but I was wondering if this actually could happen and be legal? (Also, this is assuming that the foster child is 18 and graduated. I am almost 100% sure that it would be illegal in any other case.)

Foster children cease to be a foster child after they turn 18.  There is no blood connection between the two, so they are OK to marry or have sex if they desire.

• Tepee

There shouldn't be any legal issues since you aren't blood-related.