Dirac
Lv 4
Dirac asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 2 months ago

Can anyone dispute these statements about ocean acidification?

1. As carbon dioxide increases in the atmosphere, more CO2 is absorbed by the ocean. 2. As the ocean absorbs CO2, it causes a decrease in pH of the surface waters. 3. As CO2 is absorbed and the pH decreases, the supersaturation of carbonate ions decreases. 4. Shell-building organisms in the ocean rely on the supersaturation of carbonate ions in order to build their shells.  NOTE: If you dislike the term "acidification", then take it up with the chemists, who used the term for decades prior to its application to the ocean, to refer to titration with an acid, regardless of how far the reaction progresses.  In the case of the ocean, it's titration with carbonic acid.  It is not expected that an acidic end state will ever be reached, but the term "acidification" never required that in the laboratory, either.

Update:

Anonymous: Did you realize there are other things in the ocean besides coral? Apparently not.

Update 2:

Poor little Clown Crusher can't debate the science (he may not even be able to understand the words) so he just lies about me instead. He says "I'm not speculating..." and that is true--he is simply making stuff up. Anyone that is interested in definitive proof that he is lying is welcome to email me.

Update 3:

Sorry Anonymous, but you didn't refute even a single statement. Your argument consists entirely of saying "Things were bad hundreds of millions of years ago and some things in the oceans survived, so we don't have to worry about what will happen these days." That's an extremely weak argument. Maybe you should try answering the question instead.

Update 4:

So far no one can refute any statement, most answers are trying to say it won't be that bad--without giving any evidence of comparable situations in the past.

Update 5:

You can tell the really don’t know the science when they’re still arguing terminology. Kind of like when they claim the greenhouse effect isn’t real because that’s not what warms greenhouses.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

As is plain from the answers you got - no.

----

And now the troll claims it's not even a valid scientific term.  Because the average pH of the oceans is more than 7.0

It's almost as though he just googled "acid ph" and found out the difference between an acid and a base, yet never bothered to google "ocean acidification."

-----

And now he's posted yet another question with a link he apparently didn't bother to read.

• 2 months ago

You might check the internet for that.

• 2 months ago

You are theoretically correct, but practically, it's a neutral or net positive outcome in the real world.

• Sam
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

will be "bad" is another prediction, not reality

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • J.R.
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

There is no evidence of the oceans being acidic for several hundred million years.  PH has ranged between 7.9 and 8.3 for 300 years.  That's much greater than the .1 alarmists alarm about.

The majority of evidence also shows that hard shelled creatures adapt, many through eating more nutritious plankton--which, btw, becomes more numerous and nutritious with more CO2.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I doubt if anyone read the long-winded blathering of the troll, so my post is for anyone new. 

Dirac doesn't have the two jobs he claims.  The troll is retired, except for his paid gig on Yahoo Answers.  Dirac is paid by an alarmist environmental group to post here.  I'm not speculating.  It's fact.  I've seen these people on another site doing the same thing.

The troll's co-worker is UKer Georgie.  Georgie had a job in video editing, but I'm guessing his office closed since he appears to on Yahoo full-time.

Georgie is the one deleting content here.  He uses socks and stolen Yahoo accounts to mega-report.   Georgie also used a bot (automated script) to keep all questions in category Abuse & Spam.  The troll Dirac also uses socks, but not nearly as many as Georgie.

• 2 months ago

Yes. But only by misunderstanding science, clutching at straws and fabricating data. (I'm looking at you Clown)

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

In your case it's ocean stupidification. Atmospheric CO2 is close to the lowest level it has been in the last 300 million years. Corals evolved in the Cambrian Era – with CO2 levels fifteen times higher than now. Obviously they aren’t going to dissolve. 

Edit for the troll Dirac: Not only corals but marine species that calcify.

You already lost. Whats your next scare subject? You clearly have a defective brain that cannot think for itself. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.