Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Is it possible for a cat to be affected by cigarette smoke?

My cat has been losing hair on her face and I don't the cause. I checked her ears and they are really clean. I havent told the vet that I smoke indoors because she may just tell me to quit. What do you think is causing my cat to have some bald patches?

• Ocimom

Hair loss could be from almost anything.  But YES your cat can be affected by you smoking in the house.  Its called "second hand smoke" and as in people it can lead to breathing problems and cancer.  Your cat's lungs are very small and the problems can develop very quickly.  Best you quit smoking altogether (for your own health) or to smoke only outside.

Yes, cigarette smoke indeed can affect cats, as well as other animals too, not only people. It can cause lots of problems with the cat's health. Animals who are owned by and live with people who smoke commonly have a lot more respiratory problems, and are at a much greater risk of developing cancer, both as a result of breathing the smoke in, or from swallowing it from grooming. Not only that, but it's unpleasant for them, since cats have a much stronger sense of smell than people do.

There are multiple different causes of alopecia. These include:-

- anything which causes itchy skin, like if a cat has fleas or a food allergy.

- if the cat is stressed out, causing them to over-groom themselves.

- if they are in physical pain of some sort. (They may groom the area in an attempt to relieve the pain.)

- bacterial skin infections.

- Feline eosinophilic dermatitis (inflammation of the skin)

- hormonal problems, like hyperthyroidism.

- scarring. If skin and hair follicles are severely damaged, it can potentially prevent the cat's fur regrowing.

- ringworm (a parasitic fungus which grows on the skin).

As any vet would tell you, I would indeed agree that you shouldn't smoke around the cat for their sake. You're putting the cat's health at risk too, not just your own.

Hope this helps.

It's not good for any living being to constantly be around smoke.

Yes, and tell your vet you smoke, it's part of your cat's health because if you don't tell the vet that you smoke your cat could DIE.

How long has your kitty been smoking? Your smoking has nothing to do with it. Relax.

i have been reading a lot about loss of hair in cats, they say if a cat loses hair on his face or around ears it is mostly due to food allergy

Yes, as they could just get cancer from it.

Yes,Research has shown that dogs and cats can be exposed to significant amounts of smoke when living in a smoking household. Cats could be affected even more than their canine counterparts. This is because toxic smoke particles settle on their fur and cats could swallow these when they're grooming themselves.

• Walt

yes any animal or living thing can be affected by smoke