Joseph asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Dog keeps licking and sticking tongue out.?

Hi. 

My dog keeps licking her lips and the air. She isn't cleaning herself and has been doing this all day, more or less continuously. It's not something she typically does. 

She also keeps laying down, then sitting/standing up every few minutes. I haven't noticed any other systems or changes in behaviour. She has plenty of water and is eating fine 

Is she sick? We are experiencing a heat wave the last few days. Is she to hot or dehydrated?

She is a Siberian husky. 

• Amber

There are a few causes for this but I would see a vet asap.

It could be she's feeling stressed, sick, dehydration or allergies. She could have something stuck between her teeth or food stuck around her back teeth. A loose tooth she's trying to dislodge (that was the case with my old dog). This is also a symptoms of doggy dementia. Can you distract her from doing it, or is it constant and almost obsessive? 

I'm not qualified to really give advice and I haven't seen the dog and there is just so many things it could be. 

Huskies are not meant for a hot climate but people get them because they look pretty. But they suffer because people don't keep them cool and don't de-shed them. They think a 5 minute brush once a week (if that) is enough and it's just not. 

Oh, no, poor dog.  Has she thrown her coat yet? or have you had her groomed?  to help her cope the the heat?  These dogs are best living in sub zero degrees.  Their coat was not meant for a hot climate, oh, how they suffer in the heat.  In Siberia they lay down on several feet of snow & sleep & wake up with a foot or two of snow covering them.  That is a happy Husky.

Could she have gotten a taste of a toad or frog?  Nasty nasty skin has a film of a coating to stop animals from killing it.  The taste is bad & the toad/frog gets dropped before it is killed.

We cannot examine your dog online & none of us are Vets.

Siberian Huskies were meant to be work dogs in cold weather, they shouldn't be in the hot weather, many dogs fit that category............ I can't blame that on what you are describing, but she may be miserable, I don't know.

• Maxi

Something is wrong and if my dog was doing what you say yours is  my advice is stop feeding her and get her down to the vet ASAP and as calmly and quickly as possible

It could well be heat, it could well be she just feels sick however  from personal experience it 'could be' the very very early signs of torsion...

Yes, something has changed.  She needs to see a Vet.

And speaking of being too stupid for words ...