im retired and did work can i file for unemployment?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Not because you're retired, you can't. Retiring is not considered "unemployment" eligible for compensation. If you WERE working, and then got laid off or terminated for some reason, then you can--age doesn't matter.  Check with your state. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Unemployment looks at your income for the time period just before you apply.  If you retired more than a year and a half ago, you wouldn't have any income to show.

• 1 month ago

Yo don't explain your situation in enough detail.  I "retired" from one job in 1993, worked in another job until 1997, was laid off from that job in 2004. I was eligible for unemployment at that point, but I chose to actually retire (not seek a new job), so I was then NOT eligible for unemployment.  What was your situation?.

• 1 month ago

If you are not looking for work you can't get unemployment.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

If you are retired, that means you voluntarily stopped working and are ineligible for unemployment.

• 1 month ago

Unemployment is short term.  If you quit or were fired for cause, you don't qualify.  If you retired very recently because you lost your job, then you might still qualify.  It would be a very rare situation where someone who considers themselves retired would still qualify.

• 1 month ago

You can't even type a complete sentence, but you want us to believe that you can fill out an application for unemployment benefits?  LOL, good one.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Of course not, It would be FRAUD.

• 1 month ago

No u r getting social security.u have been unemployed and did not lose your job.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.