Friend doesn't want roommate at party?

Hi,

I just had my 22nd birthday, and my friend wants to throw me a small get-together. It's not going to be bigger than 6 people due to COVID-19, but there is a small problem- she doesn't want one of my roommates there. The two of them have had problems in the past, and I have also had problems with the roommate. I'm scared that her not being invited will cause a rift in me and her's relationship, and I don't want there to be any drama and to have her take out anything on me. My other roommate/friend is invited, and I don't want her to feel left out or excluded. The roommate that is potentially not invited has been to Florida recently, but I think it's been more than 2 weeks. What should I do?

Could one of the other girls who are supposed to be attending your birthday maybe have the getto gether at one of their places? 

• Tj

Be smart, cancel the party...use the virus as a reason.

Realize that your friend who is having the get-together is childish, i guess.  I don't think a small get-together is a good idea right now at all - unless everyone keeps some distance from each other and the get-together is outdoors. 

Learn when to keep your mouth shut. 

1)  It's considered rude to discuss parties and party invitations in front of others unless you know for a fact they've been included.

2)  Your roommate doesn't need to know where you are 24/7.

3)  You do not pressure the host of the party to invite someone they don't want to invite.  The guest list is at their discretion.  There is zero need for you to discuss it with them.  You will find out who is invited when you arrive to the party.

4)  If you want to invite your roommate to a party, host a party and invite her.

Grow up, kids.   All this drama can be very easily avoided by knowing when to keep your mouth closed. 

It is your friend who is throwing the party and she can invite who she wants (or not) .  Might be good to invite the unpopular roommate, and then give that roommate the chance to snub her by turning it down.   Or the unpopular roommate might attend and be a lot of fun when she feels included.  

• Nancy

Your roommate doesn't need an invitation to her own house, and you can't disinvite a roommate to a party that's at her own house. If you don't want to include her, then you're going to have to have it somewhere other than where she lives. If there is no such place, then you and your friend are going to have to suck it up and accept the fact that she's going to be there, it being where she lives and has every right to be. And if you are "scared that her not being invited will cause a rift," then you had better go out of your way and invite her instead of just pulling a "we'll just not tell her and hope she doesn't show up or ever find out about it" because trying to pull that kind of childish nonsense definitely will cause a rift, and she'd be the one in the right. I mean, if you're at odds with this roommate, the last thing you want to do is give her the moral high ground and the sympathy points with any friends by making her right and you the total douche.