Can black people be racist?

I've heard a lot of people say they can and a lot say they can't, I'm curious as to which is right.

Update:

Alright, Claude, no need to be rude. I'm asking a mere question lmao

41 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Objectively? Yes. But many people view racism through an alternate lens, in which they attach their own meaning to it. If you get around, you will learn that racism doesn't mean the same thing to everyone. I will give a few examples. In sociology, racism is about having a substantial amount of power over another race group. Therefore, some would suggest that black people are unable to be racist because collectively, they can't oppress another race group in America. So, when people say that black people can't be racist, this is what they're likely referring to. They will instead say that they can be prejudiced.

The Ku Klux Klan will profess that they're not racist because racism is about hatred, of which they don't harbor any. To them, they're only following the command of God, believing that he made all races to be separate, and that they are the chosen people (Israelites). In their eyes, white people aren't racist but black people are.

Real racism is not about power or hatred. It's simply about having a preconceived notion about someone on the basis of their racial background. Things like oppression or hatred can come as a result of that, but it's not the entirety of it. It's reducing someone to a color, stripping them of their individuality. That color is then assigned a trait, and so the opinion of that person is based on the trait(s) assigned to their color (race), rather than their character.

At the root of it, racism is merely a form of ignorance, and nobody is devoid of being ignorant. Anyone can be racist if their worldview leans a certain way.

Source(s): I have seen it all & I'm black btw
  • 1 month ago

Ever hear of Minister Farrakhan, a vile black anti-Semite, and his Nation of Islam?

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Most of them are more racist than any other nationality 

• 2 months ago

My take on this is that like everyone, Black people can indeed be racist, but because of structural and institutional racism, it has less impact in White majority countries than White racism.  White racism is backed up by the advantages White people have already had due to their racism.  Black racism isn't.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Black people can be racist against other racial minorities and even other black people but not against white people. 

• 2 months ago

Hell yes they can.

• 2 months ago

Of course they can.

• Paul
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

People of any color can be ignorant and prejudiced against people of other colors or nationalities.

• Craig
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Yes.  Racism is very popular and can easily be found among ALL groups, regardless of their skin tone.  It is largely accepted without question among African Americans - which should be unsurprising, seeing as the African American experience has been largely DEFINED by European racism from the very start, when colonial law legalized the racist concept in order to legitimize chattel slavery...and that definition has been preserved by European-American racism to this day, long after slavery was abandoned.  If you tell a people for 400 years that their situation is due to their race, it should come as no surprise that most of the victims of the brainwashing would then define themselves - and everyone else - by their respective "races".

The reason you sometimes hear the claim that African-Americans can't be racist stems from the speaker's DEFINITION of racism.  The speaker likely defines racism as "unjustified abusive or demeaning behaviour based on a person's race".  With such a definition, where "justified" or "unjustified" are the key feature, the argument could be made that bad behaviour toward black people is always unjustified, while bad behaviour toward white people is always justified...based on the history of the black-white relationship in America.

A more useful definition of racism, which allows easy identification of racism regardless of who is practicing it, is this:

"A racist is one who A) believes all humans are biologically divided into clades called "races", and B) believes that each individual inevitably reflects certain strengths and weaknesses that are characteristic of his or her "race"."

Anyone who believes both A) and B) does actually practice racism in their thinking and in their perception of the world around them...which WILL affect their attitudes and actions.  It might or might not lead them to abuse or demean others, but it IS racist, nonetheless.  This definition lets us see that racism is a BELIEF, rather than a behaviour.

The takeaway here should be that racism, as a belief system, is far more prevalent than most of us imagine.  Given how widespread it is, and the fact that it is an early-learned and deeply-held BELIEF, it should be apparent to all that "Getting rid of racism" is not a practical approach or goal.

• rodcom
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Of course they can, anybody can.  They can even be racist against other blacks.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.