Why are my dreams so vivid?

my dreams would go beyond what most would even describe as vivid. Not only is it extreme detail to the point where it exactly mirrors places I've been in real life and I could draw the people in my dreams because that's how detailed I see their faces, but I can also smell, taste, and feel very distinctly in my dreams. Even if it is something I haven't smelled or tasted before, if I smell/taste it in my dream it is very distinct.

My dreams always follow a very distinct story line from the perspective of myself. Sometimes I am me, sometimes I am someone else. A character from a show, or sometimes an unnamed person I've never met. All the other "characters" im my dreams have names, even if they're people I don't know in real life.

Example from last night:

It was my first day of senior year, im wearing a white mask with red border. I get to school and there's a playground outside. I meet a freshman girl, her name is Marie, she has short dirty blond hair and is 4 or 5 inches shorter than me. She meets my friends. I make up with an ex friend of mine. I meet 2 boys who were friends with my ex friend, and I pursued a relationship with one of them. (This is a shortened version, it was much more detailed)

What could be the cause of this? I'm not a drinker, don't do drugs, im on medication but this was happening before I started the meds 

Coincidence