Hospice care. What time people usually died?

I heard by my coworkers (CNA hospice) elderly usually died in their sleep around 3am-4am when the body is the weakest. Is this truth? Or is just a myth? 

• Janet

I do not know if it is true, but often people die when they are alone, and they are most likely to be alone in the early morning hours.

I know of many instances where a friend or relative sat at the bedside for hours, and when they got up to go to the bathroom or go eat lunch, THAT is when the patient died.

It is instinctive in all animals (humans included) to seek being alone when we are sick or dying ... when we are physically vulnerable to predators or cannot run from danger or defend ourselves.  So it is not surprising that most people die when they are alone.  I have friends hate themselves because they were not there when their relative died, and I'm not sure this is a bad thing to be gone.

Of course, I haven't died myself yet, so I cannot say if this is how it actually is. But I often wonder at our cultural belief that somehow the dying person needs US to be there with them.  In the Tibetan Buddhism culture, the dying person is supposed to be left alone, and left quiet, so that they can face and work with the dying process. I cannot say if that is desirable, either.

I suspect, having had some serious health crises in my old age, that I would probably prefer to be left alone ... too often the person keeping vigil with us is hurting and instead of attending to our own issues, we feel like we have to make THEM feel better, even though we are the one hurting or in danger of dying.

• Edna

That is true. For some reason, people who are terminally ill very often die between the hours of 3 a.m. to 4 a.m.

This is the truth. An elderly or terminally ill person usually passes away in the wee hours of the morning.

• Snid

It's really impossible to know without asking every hospice.  The last four people I know who died in hospice died in the afternoon when family was with them and not alone.

Any time they wanna die..didn't know there was a time limit on when to die.

Hmmmmif that's the case I better make arrangement now!

• Laredo

Sadly yes it has been said that someone elderly could die in their sleep in the early hours of the morning. I suppose it must be true rather then a myth as it has happened to a lot of elderly.

Just a myth

Unless of course, the tide was turning at that time!

Source(s): wotfukinbolox.org.uk
  • kswck2

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully, in his sleep-unlike the rest of the screaming people in his car.