Switch out motherboard but not cpu?

Can you change the motherboard and keep the same CPU?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

You can! I've traded motherboards in a portion of my frameworks that I worked with second hand parts.

Be that as it may, extremely, barely any individuals decide to change out the motherboard. There is basically no motivation to do so on the grounds that the presentation will be the equivalent. More often than not it's not practical to change out the motherboard and the main motivation to do so is on the grounds that the board is having an issue. Now and again it's more savvy to redesign the CPU and motherboard instead of supplanting the simply the motherboard and moving with a similar CPU.

The appropriate response would rely upon what CPU and RAM you as of now have in your framework and how that plays in with your necessities from your PC. There are CPU resembles the Core i7-4790k, 6700k, and 7700k which despite everything go at a significant expense on the second hand market, and it may bode well to auction the CPU and begin once again. You would now be able to purchase a Ryzen 3 3300x or Core i3-10100 CPU that has a similar presentation as the Core i7-7700k for $140. Tragically you could auction a Core i7-7700k for about the equivalent or more than what a Core i5-10400 or Ryzen 5 3600 would cost.

• 1 month ago

Sure, if the sockets match

• n/a
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you're dumb enough to ask this then you're not smart enough to switch out the motherboard

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

sure if the socket is the same

on both the motherboards for

example LGA 1151 on both

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Other than compatibility issues that SOMETIMES happen, you can do so.  It always pays to look up the specs of the motherboard to see what it will allow.  If the board says it is compatible AND the board you are swapping out will allow you to remove the CPU, you are OK.  Some boards have the CPU soldered rather than socketed, but if both boards are socket-based, you are probably OK.

Be aware that if you are upgrading the motherboard to one that is MUCH faster, you might have issues with the CPU.  Those electrical impulses have to be capable of being synchronized between the two.  (That's why you look at the board's compatibility list.)

• 1 month ago

Sometimes, not all processors and mobo's are compatible.

• 1 month ago

You can! I've swapped motherboards in some of my systems that I built with 2nd hand parts. 

But very, very few people choose to change out the motherboard. There is almost no reason to do so because the performance is going to be the same. Most of the time it's not cost effective to change out the motherboard and the only reason to do so is because the board is having an issue. Sometimes it's more cost effective to upgrade the CPU and motherboard as opposed to replacing the just the motherboard and rolling with the same CPU. 

The answer would depend on what CPU and RAM you currently have in your system and how that plays in with your needs from your PC. There are CPU's like the Core i7-4790k, 6700k, and 7700k which still go for a high price on the 2nd hand market, and it might make more sense to sell off the CPU and start over. You can now buy a Ryzen 3 3300x or Core i3-10100 CPU that has the same performance as the Core i7-7700k for $140. Sadly you could sell off a Core i7-7700k for about the same or more than what a Core i5-10400 or Ryzen 5 3600 would cost. 

• VP
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Sometimes, yes, but let's start at the beginning...

- Why are you upgrading/switching the mobo?

- Is the old CPU compatible with the new mobo?

- Does the old CPU take advantage of the new mobo's new features?

Unless you're fixing a bad mobo, you'll often find that it's easier and more cost-effective to upgrade your CPU when you upgrade your mobo.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes it is possible but may not be worth it depending on the age of the system. Finding older socket motherboards on the internet is hard and expensive.

• 1 month ago

If the CPU is socketed (not soldered to the motherboard) and the new motherboard has the same socket and a compatible chipset, yes.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.