Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkNon-Alcoholic Drinks · 2 months ago

Is it possible to drink too much water? ?

It’s a really hot day and i’ve drank about 2L or more of water and probably over a litre of juice as well, if you pee lots is it okay? is this healthy and normal or bad i usually don’t drink very much water

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

     The LD50 of water is near impossible to reach zxvubfgjkq

     . . . . . . . . . .

     , , , , , , , , , ,

  • Judy
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

    Drinking 6 liters of water can cause water intoxication and kill you.

  • 2 months ago

    Yes, it is possible. You can get water intoxication which is an dangerous over dilution of the body's electrolytes.

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    I usually drink closer to a gallon a day - just in water - if working outside .. 

    Just make sure to pace yourself

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Rick
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    I USUALLY go thru a gallon-a-day, day in & day out .........and I don't have to 'pee' often either.

  • 🦋
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

    Water is ok to drink since our body is made of 99% water

  • kswck2
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    It actually IS. But unless you Really push it, the body will cycle it in and out. 

  • Goerge
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Agreed. A Navy Seal passed away not too long ago due to drinking too much water, during a training exercise, in a very short amount of time. 

    On the same token, you will also see competitive eaters drink a gallon of milk or other liquid, fairly quickly with no ill effects. 

    In your case, there's no reason to worry with 2L of water on a hot day.

  • Nancy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Yes, it's possible. There's a such thing as water poisoning. Two liters of water won't do it, though. The juice doesn't count because it contains electrolytes and will, in fact, help counteract the effect of the two liters of water. 

    Water poisoning occurs when you drink more water than your kidneys can filter over time such that your blood becomes diluted with water and depleted of electrolytes, which regulate nerve and muscle function, including keeping your heart beating. Your kidneys can filter about a 1 liter of water every hour, but the blood dilution required for water poisoning generally requires an adult to drink 3 to 4 liters of water in a single hour.

    High endurance athletes as well as military trainees are prone to getting water poisoning because of the amount they sweat developing a thirst in them that can have them easily drinking well over a gallon of water in an hour. Because of this, sports drinks (e.g., Gatorade) have been developed for them to drink instead of water because they are replete with electrolytes and thus prevent water poisoning.

    The only other group prone to water poisoning is people with mental illnesses. The human body has a natural shutoff where one won't want anymore water, will feel waterlogged, long before water poisoning occurs. However, psychogenic polydipsia (i.e., compulsive water drinking) is a symptom of several mental illnesses, most especially schizophrenia and anorexia nervosa.  

    Water poisoning can be fatal. Deaths from water poisoning are most common among soldiers in training, then athletes, then people who suffer from schizophrenia. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.