Can car insuarence refuse third party cover if I haven’t finished paying my insuarence off?

I was involved in an accident in which I was drink driving .: will my insurance refuse third party cover to the vehicle I damaged if haven’t finished paying off my car insurance for the year

They have to provide third party cover by law even if I was drink driving .. my question is will they refuse third party cover if I’m behind on monthly payments 

An unpaid policy equals no insurance and that equals the insurance company declining coverage.

In MY State you can kiss your license good-bye, so don't worry about future insurance.

(My sympathies to the person whose relative was killed by a drunk driver - or "drink driver" as this person thinks it's called.)

Will it?  There is no way to know.

Can it?  Yes.

Interesting - my dad was killed by a drunk driver.   You should be in jail.  You don't need insurance if you're in jail following a drunk driving arrest.

• Edna

If you're behind in your monthly insurance payments, your insurance company doesn't have to cover the damage you caused, because your insurance company probably cancelled your policy a long time ago.

An insurance company doesn't HAVE to provide 3rd party insurance - an insurance company can simply refuse to sell you an insurance policy.

They certainly can, depending on a couple of details you didn't mention.

When customers fall behind on monthly payments, insurance companies usually issue a notice of cancellation to their last known address.  Some notices say the policy will be cancelled on <insert date here>, some notices say coverage will be cancelled on <insert date here> unless payment is received by whatever other date may be on the document.  

It's not a question of behind on your payments, the question is was your contract legally in force when the accident happened.  And that's a question your insurance provider can answer, not a room full of online strangers.

The cover provided has nothing to do with your payments. If the policy is still effective, they are duty bound to cover the third party losses. What you need to check, is whether they have cancelled your policy for non payment. If they have, the thrid party could sue you personally, plus you'll be charged with driving while unisured, as well as drink driving.

"They have to provide third party cover by law even if I was drink driving" READ YOUR POLICY BUCKO    

You have disqualified yourself from insurance coverage.  THEY WRITE THE RULES & you signed in agreement to follow those rules.  You didn't so they don't have to cover you for schit.. You need to hire a lawyer that does car accidents(seems Logical) and you are going to court.  It is up to the JUDGE to pass decision on who is paying what to whom, when.

Not for us Yahoo's to give our opinion...because it  don't matter.

THAT IS REALITY.

• car253

What state are you in?   it does not matter that you were behind in your payments.   If your auto insurance company did not cancel you for non-payment then you were covered and they cannnot deny your claim. 

In California insurance companies were not allowed to cancel anyone for non-payment for the last 6 months.    So, some people did not pay but are still covered.   That is now ending soon unless the Department of Insurance changes something about that soon.    

Bottom line is your insurance company will pay your claim even if you are behind of the payments as long as you never received a cancellation notice in the mail. 

Source(s): Insurance agent

As long as you're up to date on your payments, they have to cover the accident. If you're behind, they can cancel your coverage. As long as your coverage is in effect at the time of the accident, they should pay. They will probably drop you after this though.

Read your policy.  It probably does not cover claims for drunk driving.

• lj1

As long as you have been making your payments on time, that should have no effect on your coverage. However, they may use the fact that you were drink driving to deny your claim.