Anonymous

Would you take a very low paying job to gain experience recent grad ?

I just finished college and don’t have a lot of experience in my field. A lot of companies have told me that I need more experience. Over the past 4 years I’ve worked retail while in college. I’ve managed to save 10,000.00. I have enough to last me about 6 months. The job is only 25 hours per week and offered me 10.55/hour. I also got another job working at a local college. The job pays 660.00 for 4 months. The hiring manager seems very nice and told me that many people who start at this position end up moving up to full time. (He did not specify how long that would take.) I would have to relocate it’s 20 hours from where I currently live: would you take the job to gain entry level experience? The pay seems VERY LOW. A 1BR apartment would cost me 915.00 per month. 

Yes the pay is very low. It is okay to grab the job if there is no relocation. But since there is and the apartment will cost you more than your pay, then no. Try searching for another job that is a win-win situation for you. 

Yes! That's where everyone started. Few are those who landed a high paying job at first. Don't be frustrated if you're earning low today. Just be patient and work effectively. I hope this helps.

https://lovelylaoeng.wixsite.com/livesupliftedvirt...

• April

Well you do need a living wage here, particularly if you're relocating. General rule of thumb is to look at rentals and put no more than 30% of your monthly gross income towards rent. (If it's more, then you'll need a roommate.)

Have you assessed all your options and thoroughly researched the field? Ask other people at the companies you plan to work about how long it took them to move up, the typical career path, or places people move on to after working there. You'll more than likely need to take a second job for a bit to make ends meet.

OMG NO!

your going to relocate to make 10.55 an hour??? NO. I live in Oregon and min. wage here is 13.25 an hour.

• Jane

You haven't said anything about your current qualifications, or the sector that you aim towards as your career. If you have a clear career goal, then you can assess this opportunity (pro's and cons) in terms of whether it brings you closer to your goal. Certainly IF you know what you want, you will be able to be pro-active in seeking out and approaching opportunities, rather than only responding to what is offered, as this limits your choices and places your future out of your control.

If you are unsure of your career goals ( and this is normal at your career stage as you are exploring), then gaining experience in your chosen field is critically important and worth taking on low pay if the opportunity really is worthwhile. A common thing to do for grads starting out, who can afford it.

You research the company thoroughly ( company website, Glassdoor, Linkedin, Twitter etc), you decide on this information if it's a good offer, you also look at other opportunities.

Research, be more active and informed in deciding your own future. Get a good resume sorted, research companies doing your thing, send it out, put energy into it. And of course be prepared to do low pay nonsense for a short time if they offer a good progression.

• Kate

I would (and did) just to gain experience and get a foothold in the profession or industry. You could approach a company that matches the field of study and even offer to do some unpaid experience. Make sure that you get your entry level experience in the field you studied, not an unrelated field.

You will have to do exactly this--take the lower paying jobs and gather more experience. You don't say what your field is--so it's a little hard to tell how long it might take. But generally that's exactly what people have to do in order to move up the chain to higher-paying jobs. 

• Mmm J

I did.

My first job out of school was in customer service at a small men's clothing manufacturer in Los Angeles.

After a few years there, I got a new job in telecom. About 25 years later, I got laid off (making low 6-figures) and took a job paying minimum wage until I could get back into my industry choice... and have been making mid-6-figures for the last nearly 10 years.

You need to do what you need to do, not ask other what they would do. I have a few regrets in my life that I would not change... but taking a very low paying job because I had to was not one of those regrets. Live beneath your means and if nothing else, be the best you can be at whatever you do. Instant gratification can be short-lived fun, but (good) karma really can come around...

Things I would consider: 

Are these jobs in the correct industry?  Are they jobs with a foreseeable path to something better as opposed to some company making empty promises to anyone who shows interest?  If you don't take these, what are your other options?  

Find something as close to what you want to do, with the most opportunity (direct or through gained experience), and hopefully for the best pay.  DON'T RELAX once you take a job.  Continue to network.  Do an excellent job.  Look for places to go above and beyond.  Continue to apply elsewhere.

If I were having trouble getting a job and the feedback was that I need more experience, yes, I would take a low paying job particularly if the job was pertinent to my degree and chosen career path.

I'd also consider working the same type of crappy retail job you've been working while looking for internships or volunteer opportunities in your career path.