Works vs Faith for salvation?  What about this verse?

James 2:18

"But someone may well say, "You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works."

There is another verse in the Bible that reads "Work out your salvation with fear and trembling."

Just looked it up to quote it right

Phillipians 2:12

Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed--not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence--continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling

Jesus said that faith is a work, John 6:29.  Compare Gal. 5:6, Eph. 2:10.

With must both do works and have faith, but neither gets us to heaven.  We go only by the grace of God.

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian
  • TeeM

You are asking the question incorrectly.

It is NOT works VS Faith.

It is NOT Faith alone.

It is NOT works alone.

Faith must have works to a living faith.

Salvation is Faith AND Works, or as John 3:36 says, Faith and Obedience.

or as 1 Corinthians 13:1-4  salvation is dependent upon Faith and Love

Our having 'works' or 'love' or 'obedience' does not 'earn' us salvation.

But in order to receive the free gift of salvation, our faith must be alive, active, doing God's will in obedience to God and his Son.

.

It means that good works without faith in Jesus Christ will not save you.  However, after salvation, you WILL do good works. If you don't, you were not really saved to begin with; unless like the thief on the cross next to the Lord, you died right after being saved.  But the thief  probably did a few good "works" before he died too, such as praying for his family members and praising Jesus.  

What does the Bible say about mental health?  And let me see.  You quoted James 2:18 and Phillipians 2:12 - how about "Work out your salvation ..."

What about it?  Yes, you looked it up, if that's the question.