I decided to pour 8oz of 2 cycle oil into a gallon of gasoline for my 50:1 wheeled trimmer. Did I do this right? ?

My wheeled bush hog trimmer is 50:1 oil to gas ratio.

I decided to do 8oz of 2 cycle engine oil.

So I know that is probably more than 50:1 but the instructions on the 2 cycle bottle says 8oz is for all 16:1, 32:1 40:1, 50:1

That would be the right kind of oil, but you still have to follow the correct ratios.  There are about 128 oz in an American gallon so to get 50:1 , you only needed a couple of drops more than 2 1/2  oz.  So you have lots of oil .   This will provide lots of smoke and might  foul your spark plug, but your engine will be well lubricated.   

You decided to pour too much oil into the gasoline instead of reading the directions.

What you mixed is not MORE than 50:1, it's LESS than 50:1. 

8 ounces is enough for 400 ounces of gasoline, which is 3⅛ gallons. 

One gallon of gasoline needed approximately 2½ ounces of oil. 

What you made is approximately 128:8 or 16:1, which is far too much oil.  It will smoke, plus foul the spark plug. 

If you have a larger gas can, add 2 more gallons of gasoline to your mix and it will be much better.

No, 2 gal=128 ounces/50=2.56 ounces of oil.

* ounces of oil *50 =6.25 gallons of Gas.

Add 4.250 gallons of gas to it and mix it thoroughly.

use a 5 gal gas can or two 2.5G cans to mix it.

• CB

There are fuel/oil mix ratios charts all over the internet - look first 

You are going to need to mix in another 2 gallons of fuel with your already mixed fuel to get to 50.1 (smidge over 2 gallons actually) or pour off 2/3 of you mix and refill with fuel. You currently have 16:1 ratio - way too much oil.

Yup, it's just fine in your case, hope it burns up from running too lean and smokes you out while you're at it.

• Eva

No you didn't. The instructions on the bottle didn't mean that the whole 8 oz. was to be used for each of those ratios. 50:1 means 50 oz of gas to 1 oz of oil. You'd be better off to drain the gas tank and start over.  That's why I buy equipment with 4 cycle engines so I don't have to mess with mixing fuel.  They also sell pre-mixed cans in the proper ratio for 2 cycle equipment. It's expensive, but cheaper than having to have the equipment serviced.