Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingTeen & Preteen · 2 months ago

Is my family a cult?

So I haven't really thought about this a lot but my family have quite a lot of control over my life and some people find it really weird.

So my friends don't understand why I can't have tattoos or piercings but my family disapproves, even tho I could probably get one I couldn't deal with the shame. I'm also not allowed to date girls from a different ethnicity, not allowed to date guys either... being gay is a big no.

They bought me a house to live in but even though I own it all on paper, I feel like they own it... and If they wanted It back I'd just give it back to them.

I'm not allowed to be fat or to have cosmetic surgery unless required. 

I have to meet them on a set date every 2 weeks, this isn't optional.

I'm not allowed to quit a job without asking them, they even pick the holidays I go on.

I'm not allowed to rent property.

It's really weird cause I love these people so much I'll do anything they ask, but when I tell others about how I can't have this and that they think it's really weird.

Is it just my family like this? 

You need to see a barrister to see what your rights are. For one, if your name is on the title, they can't takr your house away from you no matter who paid for it.

Exactly how old are you?

Either your family is very strange or you are not as mentally stable as you might think you are.

If you are over the age of 19 - then these rules are unrealistic and NOT NORMAL by any standards unless you are not capable of making good choices for yourself.  

It's pretty obvious that you have deficiencies that require your family to actively manage you.