if your 2 cycle engine requires 50:1 gas to oil ratio mix, and you give it 40:1 or 32:1 gas to oil ratio mix, what would happen?

would this jack up your 2 cycle engine if it says it requires 50:1 gas to oil ratio mix, and you give it 32:1 gas to oil ratio mix or 40:1 gas to oil ratio mix.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

If you use a lower ratio like 32:1 or 40:1 It will not damage the motor, it just means it's getting more oil than it needs and will likely smoke more than usual when running. It's also possible that the plug will oil up, and it will be difficult to start.

Using a higher ratio though, i.e. with less oil than it needs can indeed lead to engine damage.

I used to run an elderly motorcycle with a two stroke engine that required a much higher ratio of oil to fuel ratio, 18:1 comes to mind. It lasted for a long time, being well lubricated, but it was a regular occurrence for the plug to oil up. The standard practice among users of this engine was to carry a pocket full of cleaned plugs and a plug spanner.

• 1 month ago

depends on what brand of two stroke oil you are using ..my stihl strimmer uses 50-1 if i use stihl oil ..all other brands 25-1....the oils main purpose is not to oil the bores but the main bearings 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Modern 2-strokes are designed to run with less oil for the sole purpose of reducing emissions.  They will all run longer, cooler, internally cleaner, and produce more horsepower if fed a mixture with more oil, but the main jet has to be enlarged to compensate for the more viscous mixture.  Plugs may foul easier with a higher oil content, but plugs are considerable cheaper than pistons and cranks.  Before emissions were a concern, mixtures of between 16:1 to 24:1 were common.  High performance engines such as the alcohol fueled glow engines used in RC cars and airplanes need ratios as low as 4:1.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

An internet keyword search that took me a whopping 14 seconds yielded this answer...

Excess oil can produce a smoky exhaust, oil leaking out of the muffler, and sometimes loss of power. While not ideal, these issues can be fixed by simply replacing the fuel in the tank with properly mixed fuel. But running a two-cycle engine with too little oil can actually destroy the unit.

Source(s): INTERNET KEYWORD SEARCH. Learn how, it ain't exactly rocket science.
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Two-stroke motors use the oil as a lubricant inside the bore.  The danger isn't when you increase the oil to fuel mix, but when you reduce it.  So 40:1 won't hurt your motor, but 80:1 or 100:1 will.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.