Anonymous

Volunteer info on job application?

I may just be overthinking this and apologize if this is a silly question.

I am filling out job applications in which the employer is are requesting work experience, including volunteer experience. They require contact information fields to be filled out. I have been unemployed for the past 6 months, but have been volunteering for a few organizations to stay productive (data entry, admin work, etc.). 

Some of these organizations I work with don't get back to me right away. Should I add the organization's phone number to my job applications without asking them beforehand? 

I'm assuming employers want contact information to verify my volunteer experience, rather than be used as a reference. However, I feel that I might be overstepping somehow if I don't ask for permission first? Is that ridiculous to think?

Sorry for the silly question. Thank you! 

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Most applications don't ask for previous employer contact information unless you get through the interviews.  Even then, many don't care.  Personally, I would say 'upon request' if possible (and if I felt I had options elsewhere I wouldn't even fill out the application to this place.  It's not professional at all.)

• 2 months ago

You are supposed to ask them beforehand if you can use them as a reference. If you can't reach them, leave a message apologizing and hoping it is alright if you use them as a reference and you would have liked to ask instead of leaving a message but you can't seem to get through, so you hope it is alright.  That should be enough in these times.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.