Anonymous

Volunteer info on job application?

I may just be overthinking this and apologize if this is a silly question.

I am filling out job applications in which the employer is are requesting work experience, including volunteer experience. They require contact information fields to be filled out. I have been unemployed for the past 6 months, but have been volunteering for a few organizations to stay productive (data entry, admin work, etc.). 

Some of these organizations I work with don't get back to me right away. Should I add the organization's phone number to my job applications without asking them beforehand? 

I'm assuming employers want contact information to verify my volunteer experience, rather than be used as a reference. However, I feel that I might be overstepping somehow if I don't ask for permission first? Is that ridiculous to think?

Sorry for the silly question. Thank you! 

Most applications don't ask for previous employer contact information unless you get through the interviews.  Even then, many don't care.  Personally, I would say 'upon request' if possible (and if I felt I had options elsewhere I wouldn't even fill out the application to this place.  It's not professional at all.)

You are supposed to ask them beforehand if you can use them as a reference. If you can't reach them, leave a message apologizing and hoping it is alright if you use them as a reference and you would have liked to ask instead of leaving a message but you can't seem to get through, so you hope it is alright.  That should be enough in these times.