Crystal asked in HealthDental · 2 months ago

My 8 year old need a extra tooth pulled but they will cut his gum. They are offering IV sedation or local anesthesia? advice...?

Having gums cut with local anesthesia should be okay, but for an 8 year old just the thought of that might be more trauma than it is worth. If your child is particularly prone to panic or anxiety (ie. crying, fidgeting, flight responses, longterm fear responses), IV sedation is worth considering with the professional. He will need a little special care depending on the type of sedation, but the operation itself should be just fine.

Get advice from the oral surgeon about this. 

• k w

I'd take him to a Biological dentist, they know more than the Quack dentists, they pulled my root canals,

cuz they're NOT healthy, No pain, No sore jaw, No sore gums either and their pain meds are awesome.

They use ozone to treat the gum tissue with....great for a youngster to get used to. use Yelp dot com to find a Biological dentist in your area.....

• Ludwig

Take the advice of the dentist who is doing the operation.

• Tavy

IV, to keep him/her quiet. They will just feel a bit whoozy.

Source(s): I worked for a UK Dentist.
  • y

I would go with what the doc recommended to be honest for a kid that age.  Can the kid sit still long enough, with them working in his mouth, without freaking out, especially when he has a twinge of pain here and there, for however long they are saying it will take? I was awake for my first root canal in 7th grade, I still remember the tool they used to finish breaking the tooth down enough to do whatever, the chips falling on my tongue  that was 45 plus year ago.  I remember it took 6 hours to do the entire thing.  I do not remember the metal anchor they drilled then installed into my jaw bone. My current dentist said they did a good job, they usually have to replace them by now. Anywho, is this kid well enough balanced to be awake while they do this thing, or is he better off asleep and not knowing?

• marty

I chose sedation when I had to have my daughters done...in my experience it was less painful and made the child more willing to return to the dentist throughout the rest of her life.she has her own kids now and great teeth.