Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 2 months ago

Poll: Do you think K-12 schools and colleges will remain online permanently forever?

Many schools across the nation have decided that they will go 100% remote learning for the entirety of the 2020-2021 school year.

Do you think this will be permanent forever? Do you see K-12 and colleges no longer doing in-person classrooms and only 100% remote learning forever?

If they do stay online forever, welcome to a whole world of social cripples.

It really depends. I think if Biden wins, I’m going to go ahead and say we’ll be fully back to normal by around March or April 2021 all over the world. If Trump wins, I think this will probably drag on until July or August of 2021.

I don't think K-12 schools and colleges will remain online permanently forever as I see K-12 and colleges doing a blend of online and in person classrooms in the future.

• Sarah

I don't think it'll be forever, but it could be a very long time. That depends on how long coronavirus will be as bad as it is in the US. It's going to take either vaccines, herd immunity, or both, to defeat coronavirus, but influenza is seasonal and schools don't usually go online for that. However, students in high school and college can expect their entire high school and college time to be very different than they may have envisioned it. More classes will be remote, they may not be in school as much as they expected, and basically, their experiences in school just may be different than they have imagined it.

In some places, yes, I do think that will be the case. It makes a lot of sense to have students learn remotely, particularly at the high school and college level. It's much safer than in person learning at those levels. Where it becomes problematic is at the elementary or primary level of learning. The younger kids NEED TO BE IN SCHOOL.

Online / distance learning is the future. It will be blended with classroom work.

However, the big problem is that of motivation. That is the big job of the teacher. That is also the skill that politicians ignore because they are stupid when it comes to education. Indeed,the biggest qualification to become a Minister for education is to know nothing about education, yet have a lot of hot air to say about it.

NB:

In the 80's I was involved in a project that was a distance teaching computer. Not a CAL (Computer Aided Learning) machine, it was a remote blackboard. The university was loaded with two kinds of educator... Chalk and talk .v. CAL.

Because of this, the project, which would have been such a useful tool, was crushed.

This illustrates the current battle. This is a stupid fight as the future is a fusion of the two. Much can be better taught on a computer. This is illustrated by the development of games. As I said earlier, education is all about motivation. Games are intrinsically motivating and self testing.

At the first lecture I attended when I did a degree in psychology, the prof said:

"The worse method of teaching is by lecture, human concentration span is no more than 20 mins..." Yet the vast majority of education is done by lecture form and in usually for an hour... and we expect children and teens to learn that way - OH BOY!!!

• drip

No, it won’t be forever. 

I don't think it'll be forever, I think it'll be for a while though until this pandemic is all over with and we can all go back to normal living. But I think Trump is wrong for wanting everyone to go back to school so soon since this is still going on. 

• Katy M

I do. For one reason, it will be cheaper and there is honestly no need (beyond parental conveniece) for in-school learning.  For another reason, this virus is not going away anytime soon.  Not this year.  Not next year.  Maybe even not five years from now.  By that time we will be firmly ensonced in the "new normal" and won't even think about easing back into the "old ways."