Should I leave my government job for an electrician apprentice job?

I make 29k per year, I'm a Pretrial officer in Kentucky, I've done this job for 7 months but I was just offered 30k per year as an electrician apprentice. I'd love to learn a trade and become licensed and it's a fast track program that will allow me to become licensed quicker than usual . My government job is okay, but I keep messing up and I'm not doing well I feel, I've had my probation extended because I transfered to s new county and I'm still learning . My friend told me to stay where I am because of Covid19 and how things are not guaranteed. I have twins on the way and want to earn more and get real skills necessaryTo provide more in the near future. The government job provide job security and good health insurance but the pay is horrible. I don't know what to do.

The electrician company told me that the work is industrial and that I'd get a raise if I did well after 90 days .

just stay at the government job it is so much better and the pay will come on the long run being an electrician is not good job 

I recommend you don't become an electrician, and I will tell you why.

"I keep messing up" <--- You could lose your life if you mess up just once. My step father is an electrician. I am surprised he is still alive. Because he messed up once that I know of in a big way at work.

He explained to me what happened to him. He got electrocuted, and he fell off a ladder after he was electrocuted. I think he said was all the way at the top of the ladder when he fell off.

If you are interested  in learning a trade, electrical work is a good one. Hopefully the apprenticeship  is through an IBEW contractor. If it isn't, once you get experience (maybe 5 years) and a license, Id suggest going back to government work as an electrician.  The pay might be not quite as good as the private sector, but no layoffs and great benefits. Maybe board of education maintenance  dept or state or local government maintenance  department. I'd dont know if there any federal government or military  installations  in your area, but those would be good too.

• y

How much of a go getter are you? Trades, depending on state, have different requirements for school and such.  In order to make a really good living in them, you have to get all those licenses and such.  They also cost money, and take a lot of time away from family, just like anyone working and going to school.  Also, do not underestimate the importance of health benifits and how much they will cost you and such. While some help tier people advance, many bosses in the trades do want their people to leave them once they have been trained, so they intentionally make it difficult to take the schooling necessary, to take the test, to get the next license. How mechanically inclined are you by the way. That plays a role in how well you;ll do in a trade, and not all trades have interchangeable areas. I myself did electrical and HVAC, went to school for HVAC but the job I ended up with, did both trades. I got lucky, plus there was a crossover to a couple of other specialties.  Physically though, I broke, so that is another thing to consider, how well your body can take it.

• Orla

If you are in good health, strong and willing to work your butt off go for the apprentice job. But only if you know how to save for emergencies, health care crisis and old age. If not stick to govt work. You'll get raises and promotions and a pension ?

Do the electrical job.  It will make a big difference in a few years when you ar certified and earning $56.00 an hour