Is pale skin really unattractive as people think?

My skin reflects like paper under the light yet I have absolutely no desire to tan. I personally like my porcelain skin but it seems that being pale is a typical American phobia. I understand the origins of the tan beauty standard, but is pale skin really that strange to people? Maybe I should move up north.

Thought I'd add a fun fact about fair skin: You can't tan. Not physically possible when you have a lot of Irish ancestry. When I'm under the sun for more than ten minutes I drop to my knees, peel my burnt skin off and reveal the hard red shell of of 5'2" lobster beneath.

• I have the same issue as you. I've been bullied my whole life for being so fair-skinned. I've even made self-deprecating comments like calling myself "see-through." In reality, it's not funny; it's very mean. I try to think "I'll show them in 20 years when they have crazy wrinkles from tanning and I don't." They'll pretend like it's for my health and needing vitamin D, when in reality the majority of vitamin D someone gets should be from their diet. Just like how there are people into those with tan skin though, there are people who are into those with pale skin. It might now seem that way b/c of the media, but it's true. For example, big b**bs are a thing declared so attractive, but I really like women with small b**bs. Everyone has their personal taste.

In my opinion, no. I've seen many gorgeous pale people. Attractiveness isn't based off your skin tone.

As with so many things, it is a question of individuals' perceptions. Being from California myself, I grew up with people thinking tanned skin looked better because it meant you were active and healthy. I was also told tanning evened out skin tone. Personally, I think I look ridiculous with tanned skin. I think it looks good on some girls and not on others. When I moved to China everyone admired my white skin and lamented their own "yellow" (what they call tanned) skin. They want their skin as white as possible or they think they're unattractive, which really saddened me. For them, tanned skin meant they were laborers. I think if you look healthy and you can find your own natural beauty then others will see that beauty, too. If they don't, it probably means they have some sort of preconceived notions that you wouldn't want to deal with, anyway. 

How pale are we talking...like a sheet of printer paper pale, than yes that's very unattractive, but it's not your fault. Go out and get some sun. 

It's not the colour that's unattractive, it's the skin itself. If your skin is obviously healthy and smooth, your eyes are bright and your hair is healthy too, then the paleness of your skin isn't an issue at all.

pale skin is a trend in asia but not in the us! in the us most girls are very tan! imo i think that pale skin isn't a great look. 

As a guy, I think white skin is pretty. And a turn on. Tanned girls always look older. ugly

Porcelain skin was once a beauty ideal, not now, it shows lack of healthy sun exposure.

Absolutely not! The deep, dark tanned skin is unattractive now. 

Not strange, but people might believe you stay in the house all week and dont do much social activity outside. They might also be concerned if you are getting enough vitamin D for your skin lol you say move up north like you live in the south like FL. Just dont worry about what they think