Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 2 months ago

Buried my hamster and he’s been dug up! ?

Our hamster died 2 weeks ago, I dug a hole as deep as I could and buried him out the garden. I dug 3 holes in different places all together but kept hitting rocks. So I wrapped him in some of his cotton bedding and then wrapped him in a towel. Like I’ve done in the past to my hamsters. 

I filled the hole back once placing him & put 2 big concrete slabs over it.

I’ve been feeling sad over him but this morning was the worst. 

I woke up and saw cotton scattered all over my garden! I realised straight that he’s been dug up! 

I checked and whatever animal did it has dug around the concrete and made kind of like a tunnel under and taken him! My garden is quite big and I’ve checked all over and I cannot find his body anywhere :( 

He’s either been eaten or dragged off somewhere & I feel absolutely terrible. I don’t even know what I’m asking or why I’m writing this but I feel sad over it. :-( I need some kind words. Or if you want you can make me feel even worse than what I already do 

Sounds like a bear got to him. No way a fox or cat can lift concrete slabs.

Not sure how to make you feel better? I mean... atleast he was already dead and he's now nourishing another living thing rather than just decomposing in the ground.

• Ocimom

Whenever we buried our small animals - hamsters, birds, etc. we would bury them in a small box that was sealed and dad dug a deep hole.  Sounds like the hole was not deep enough and you didn't have the body wrapped up.  I imagine a dog found him and dug him up and took the body.  Sorry for your loss.

• Zapata

There is always a possibility that he wasn't actually dead but merely in a coma. He awoke to find himself buried alive! Terrified, he spent days clawing himself out to freedom. 

I'm not surprised you can't find him now because he probably wants to get as far away as possible. 

Sad as it that this happened, at least he was dead- so he wouldn't feel the pain when the cat or fox ate him. I'm not sure what else to say other than be proud that you gave him a good life

Don't feel terrible at all. If it was not for the fact that nature puts creatures on the planet to keep it clean, we would be up to the knees with dead bodies. No creature did anything wicked, it is just their job. If bodies are too near the surface, as in, they can be detected they need to be removed. It is simply nature. The dead body is of no use to your hampster and if he could, he may have told you to leave it for other hungry creatures as he is off to hampster heaven.

You didnt bury him deep enough.

Sorry this happened but animals can smell it.  If you bury an animal you have to burry it very deep at least 3 feet or animals can small it and dig it up.  

That's horrible. I'm sorry.

• ?

Are ypu certain he was dug up? You may be dealing with a vengeful zombie hamster arisen from the grave