Tips on purchasing a vehicle from a different state?

I recently got into a bad car accident in which my truck was totaled. This truck was a limited edition model and they didn't make very many of them but I was hoping to buy that same truck again. Through searching around I could only fine 9 of them for sale across the entire country. How does the process work to buy a vehicle from a different state and have it shipped to me without having to actually physically be there? 

It's simple. You talk to the dealer / seller, come to a price agreement, transfer funds, and arrange for the vehicle to be shipped, and have it insured. If negotiating with a private seller, you are well-advised to use a title & escrow service for the transaction. If you will be financing the vehicle, then your lender will handle that part of it. I personally recommend that approach as you can pay off your loan with the insurance settlement later. I also highly recommend that you arrange for a 3rd party repair shop to inspect and test drive the vehicle for you. Do not rely on the seller to be truthful. 

• Scott

Only a fool buys a used vehicle without inspecting and test driving it IN PERSON, and inspecting the title.

Don't buy anything  sight unseen.  Set up a wire transfer account with your bank.  Find the vehicle you want.  Go there and be sure you want it.  Buy with the wire transfer of funds and get the dealer to give you a temporary plate.  With the title in hand, apply to the DMV in your state for a title transfer.  You can consider buying a membership to the AAA Automobile Club of America.  They can handle transportation to the dealer and any paperwork that you might have to do.

REALLY bad idea to ever buy a car without seeing & driving it first.

When I bought a car about an hour away I asked them if I could leave my old car there for a few days. They said yes. When I could not get a ride for a few more days I asked them for more time and they were fine with it.

I would suggest buying a car closer to home. And forget something where there are only 9 in the country.

PS, you cannot get a loan in your exs name. Thats a felony. You'd get caught and you'd go to jail. 

• Rick

You buy the truck where ever, then the DMV where you bought it will sell you a '30 day tag', which will get you home ...........

• Scott

I have bought out-of-state vehicles before. But I go there and pay for the vehicle and get the clean title. Then when I get back to my home state I have it registered at the DMV.  Unless you are buying from a car dealership, shipping the truck will not be a possibility.