Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsCell Phones & Plans · 2 months ago

Does Apple use a bait & switch technique?

I don't know why but one day I'm going in the store to get an iPhone 11 as I've seen advertised everywhere. But then when I come out the store I bought the iPhone 11 Pro Max, AirPods, and a case for my phone. That wasn't my goal but I felt so convinced that I should buy those. Don't get me wrong I think they're great products but every time I go in Apple I feel like I am spending more than I should.

• Nicey8

yes, Apple makes use of consumer psychology and tricks and gimmicks to enable the consumers to spend more.

iPhone 12 is appearing in maybe oct and will you be tempted to get a newer iPhone?

Yes, I bought an Apple Mac Mini, the small desktop, and had a USB to VGA adapter I wanted to use with an HP monitor. It worked with the monitor for 20 minutes then crapped out. I returned it and got a Dell that was one third of the cost that has constantly worked with the same adapter. Apple programs products to not work with third party adapters and instead of putting it on the box they just do it with no admission. This is bait and switch and very frustrating.

They want you in that ecosystem. I don't take kindly to that kind of customer service experience. 

• P

That's just up-selling which is what they are trained to do.   If you wanted a large screen iPhone paying for the Max is really your only choice.  The case and air pods have alternate brands available on Amazon that cost a quarter of the price.  Then you can watch everyone walk around with brand new 5G iPhone 12's in 2 months while you are still paying the bill for yours.  That's Apple for you.  They do it well, but at least the stuff you purchased will work well.  

Not bait and switch. You decided that the Pro Max version, with airpods, was something you wanted over the standard version that you went into the store for.

That is fairly common for those that don't know what they want. I call it the Magpie or Monkey effect. 

Magpies like shiny objects and will drop one thing, to grab a bigger and shinier one, only to drop it and run back to get the first thing.

Monkeys will drop an arm full of food, to run and snatch something from another monkey when there are piles of the same thing all around them. 

In your case the iPhone 11, was not good enough, so you wanted the Pro Max and airpods, instead of the BT wired earpods that cost less.  And let be guess, all without adding Apple are plus, to protect/replace them for 2 years? 

• Duck

That's not bait and switch.  Bait and switch would be advertising one product but replacing it with another.  They just did a good job of upselling you.