Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Is my Mom really racist ?

We were going back home to our building. My Mom opened the door from the outside and two black people were behind us. My mother didn’t recognize them and asked them what apartment they were going to. Those poor people felt bad and wouldn’t tell my Mom saying it wasn’t her business. My Mom said that nobody can come in the hallway without a key. They didn’t have. let because they followed my Mom in. I recorded everything on my cell phone. Should I put my Mom on blast for being racist. Even though it’s my Mom She isn’t above the law. We can’t ignore racism whenever it’s convenient 

• car253

Not racist.   They were strangers.   Not about race.    Stop making everything about race.   Not everyone is a racist like Black Lives matters wants to say.    

Your mom's concerns were about safety no matter what the person's race was. 

It sounds as if you are the racist if your mom has security concerns and your assumption is that her security concerns were about their race.

Well, would she have done the same thing to every other race? I don't let anyone into my apartment building if I don't recognize them. She probably shouldn't have asked where they lived but should have politely declined entrance and deferred them to the super or landlord. We want to battle racism to the extent where it's in a climate to not thrive but at the same time don't let strangers, any strangers in your building. 

To answer your question, I can't fairly say if your mother is racist or not because you're not providing enough such as a pattern or back story. If she lets in other strangers of other races in then yes, she's most likely racist. This story alone leaves my judgment inconclusive. You can suggest to your mother to be more polite and defer them to the super or another authority who is better suited to grant them entry.

Careful, she’ll disown you. 

Be a good little politically correct apparatchik and denounce her as an Enemy of the Party of the People. Cancel-culture her off to the Guantanamo Gulag!

Make Boris and Natasha proud!

Not enough information is given to determine whether your mom is racist.

Does your mom cheerfully hold the door open for white folks who don't have a key?  If so, then yeah, your mom is racist.  I'm not saying she SHOULD hold the door for black folks, but if she weren't racist, her response would be consistent across races.

If she's being followed by white folks she doesn't know, and she performs the same routine as she did for the black folks, then no, I don't see any evidence of racism - just her being cautious.

That doesn't mean racism doesn't exist.  It does.  And there are LOTS of examples of people who apply rules differently for black folks and white folks.  I just can't make a judgement about your mom's actions without more information.

If things were as you say. She really did what she was supposed to do. Besides, just because they were Black doesn't mean anything. If people you don't know aren't supposed to be in the building, then they weren't supposed to be there...regardless of the color of their skin. That job should fall to whomever they were visiting.

• tammy

If someone is right behind you, should you wait and let the door close then use your key? If they were white and she didn’t ask yes it’s racist but if she would then nope she just a nosy person. Ask her.

• KTJoe

Not racist but dangerous uh-Mom should have ignore people and walked on. 

Judge not lest ye be judged. You need to work on yourself instead of trying to judge and virtue signal, because it's very very obvious you're not perfect. Take the plank out of your own eye then you can see clearly to take the speck out of your mom's eye. Jesus said that. You also need to realize your mom is older and wiser and probably realizes that's how thieves case their next job and all you can see is the racism that people have no doubt programmed you to be obsessed about.