Paula asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 2 months ago

Bodyweight: Only nutrition or nature ?

I was in great britain and in germany. I have the impression that the german women are almost all thinner, than the british and american. My man says that is chips against sauerkraut. But is it not also nature?

I left with a german women.

I've spent a lot of time in both Germany and the UK and my observations are the opposite, that British women tend to be thinner. But I can't argue that US women tend to be fatter than both. 

When it comes to weight, there are environmental factors, genetic factors, cultural factors, and of course personal-habit factors that all come into play, and that interact in complicated ways.  Scientists legitimately aren't sure of all, or even most of the answers on this one--they have some ideas (eg gorging on Twinkies is probably not the path to slimness), but a lot of details, even the experts aren't sure of.

German women are all fat like American and British women due to feminism.

It's down to nutrition and exercise. Genetics play some part in that some people have a natrually higher metabolism than others. But ultimately, eating more calories than you burn will make you gain weight and vice versa. 

By the way, there are lots of fat people in Germany. I've traveled all across the world and I saw fat people pretty much everywhere, although yes here in the US is one of the worst obesity rates. 

For middle aged women and men too, it's most likely often down to lack of hormones.  Though often in the case of women it's down to lack of exercise and eating too many foods saturated in fat and carbs.

When I travelled in Germany there seemed to be just as many overweight women as there are in the UK.

• Zirp

NO

half of all germans are overweight.

Overweight is not "just nutrition" nor "just nature". Other factors are TV, internet-use, medications, diseases (e.g. diabetes), nightshifts, lack of sleep..