would i strain the compresor motor?

im thinkin of adding a 100gal propane tank to my tiny pancake compressor. will that break my compressor or shorten the life of it?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago
    Favourite answer

Probably not. But you would have to wait forever for the air pressure to come up to do much good. That was the beauty of a small tank. Instant pressure.

• M.
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

It would only run LONGER. 

While that is not strain, it surely would be heat.  Could your little compressor cool properly?  I don't know.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Since you don't want to leave the tank full of compressed air for an extended period, you will be running that little puppy a long time for nothing every time you just want to top off a tire.  And with no drain plug for water, it will rust out quickly.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

It won't hurt it anymore than a lot of continuous use. If you need big air volume for a short time it will work, if you need it a lot the pump will burn out because it won't stop running trying to keep the tank full.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 months ago

It won't hurt the compressor but those small pancake compressors are made for staple guns and nailers not for impact tools for doing car work.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

It will likely die just putting pressure in the new tank.

• 3 months ago

Depending on how often you need the compressor to pump up the tank it may or may not make an difference..It just depends on how many hours the compressor has to run with and without the tank. Your usage of air is the real controlling factor in the life of the compressor.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.