Sofia asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 2 months ago

How to respond to a white person using the 'N' word.?

I am white Australian, and I have another white friend who uses the 'N' word (mostly when rapping along to songs but in conversation sometimes as well). Her boyfriend is black and is the reason she feels comfortable saying it (he is okay with it). I want to tell her to stop, but I feel as though I don't have the authority if her black boyfriend is supportive of it. I know black people are not a monolith and he doesn't really have a right to give her a pass on the 'N' word. But I know neither of them will see it that way if I bring up that point. I'm trying to be more conscious about casual racism with the BLM being so important. But I don't know how to approach this conversation without being immediately shut down. 

Can I have some advice?

I would talk to them both again, and remind the boyfriend that just because he's cool doesn't mean any black person would...also say that being comfortable with saying it might cause her to say it without thinking, and who knows what would happen in the wrong place.

• Alan H

She should not use it at all, ideally.......and you have the right to challenge it.

But, if he is OK with it and she does not use it publicly, it would be hard to complain 

just tell them youd rather not hear it

Maybe don't necessarily tell her not to say it. Try to tell her what you think of the word and the meaning behind it and how it plays into the struggles of people today. If she doesn't get it, there's not much more you can do.

Is her black boyfriend offended by her using the N-word?    If not, what’s the problem?