East
East asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 2 months ago

How offensive is it to return a groomsman's gift to the groom?

I was a groomsman in a former friend's wedding a few months ago.  Then he stole from me and threatened to sue me.

I still have the groomsman's gift that he gave me, still wrapped in the original packaging: a small bag with my initials on it.

We're in settlement discussions re: his restitution for the theft, and we both have lawyers.

How offensive would it be for me to return the gift to him, still unwrapped, now?

Anonymous, great idea. I would sell it but it has my initials on it and is worth $20.  I also want to insult him.

• drip

I wouldn’t be doing anything until the settlement is concluded.

At the very least run it by your lawyer first.

• Trish

Once a friendship ends it's best to break ties.  Without trying to offend anyone consider tossing the gift,

After the legalities are finalized, I would cut the bag into recognizable pieces and send it to him. 

• Tj

If you can prove he stole from you report it to the police and have him arrested.

can't you just sell it for money??

think smarter....

Yeah, just don't. It's not going to achieve any positive results.

If you can use it, keep it. If you don't want it, there's a place called Good Will.

• Bill

Give it back to his wife when restitution is completed.  If it’s something useful or valuable, keep it.