East
Lv 4
East asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 2 months ago

How offensive is it to return a groomsman's gift to the groom?

I was a groomsman in a former friend's wedding a few months ago.  Then he stole from me and threatened to sue me.

I still have the groomsman's gift that he gave me, still wrapped in the original packaging: a small bag with my initials on it.

We're in settlement discussions re: his restitution for the theft, and we both have lawyers.

How offensive would it be for me to return the gift to him, still unwrapped, now?

Update:

Anonymous, great idea. I would sell it but it has my initials on it and is worth $20.  I also want to insult him.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • drip
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

I wouldn’t be doing anything until the settlement is concluded.

At the very least run it by your lawyer first.

• Trish
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Once a friendship ends it's best to break ties.  Without trying to offend anyone consider tossing the gift,

• 2 months ago

After the legalities are finalized, I would cut the bag into recognizable pieces and send it to him. 

• Tj
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you can prove he stole from you report it to the police and have him arrested.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

can't you just sell it for money??

think smarter....

• 2 months ago

Yeah, just don't. It's not going to achieve any positive results.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

If you can use it, keep it. If you don't want it, there's a place called Good Will.

• Bill
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Give it back to his wife when restitution is completed.  If it’s something useful or valuable, keep it. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.