Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 2 months ago

I lost my dad to the coronavirus yesterday.?

I'm too devastated to go back to work and I'm thinking about quitting and getting another job. In one year I would have had enough time to draw a little pension. What are some other good jobs to get out there?

• Helen

I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm confused why you think you need to find another job at this point. If you are too devestated to return to a job you know, and colleagues you know, how will you manage to learn a completely new role on top of your grief?

Talk to your boss. You should not be expected to go back to work straight away. You are entitled to compassionate leave.

Once you do go back, people won't expect you to be at the top of your game and will make allowances for this.

i'm so sorry for your loss! i think that you should keep your job for now and just ask your boss for some weeks off for you to give yourself a break, i'm sure they will understand! if you quit, it might take a long time for you to find a new job. 

• Rick

I'm sorry for your loss.  You need to change jobs is more about you running away from your feelings of your loss, than really needing a job change.  I think it's important for you to see a therapist to help you through your loss and the feelings this causes.

If you're in the U.S., it is not a good time to give up an existing job right now, hide-behind anonymous.  Your dad's "transition into the Everywhere," as I called my daughter's death on Columbus Day, 2002, does not mean his Spirit has left you or your family, so keep on keeping on and give the grief a chance to pass.  

Digging holes in the cementry for the bodies.

• Alan H

Do not make any major changes in the midst of your grieving.  You can hardly be expected to think rationally whilst going through the trauma of loss.    Give it at least three months.

Seek support from not-so-close family members, who can get alongside but are not facing quite the same loss.

I’m so sorry for what you’ve gone through, I can’t imagine the pain you would be feeling right now. Your father wouldn’t want you to put your life on hold. keep going and be strong, if not for you then at least do it for your father. If you want to change your career, I suggest you wait on it. Think long and hard and definitely don’t quit before finding a new job. 

Maybe take a week off from work, but don’t leave for good without thinking about it for at least a few weeks 

Sorry for your loss, My mother is still losing her battle with Early Onset Dementia, but Walmart hires basically anyone, most stores have dropped drug testing. They pay rather good, I think it was $11 starting? They offer insurance and profit sharing (per location) $500 cap quarterly.

This may have changed since the pandemic, but they actually treated their workers well, they ask you to work, yes, but it's easy. 

• Mark

Well, did you, or didn't you?  And maybe go to the "lost and found" section of the store where you "lost" him.

If you are that close to retirement, your father has been retired for many years. Get over it -- he lived a long life, and he was obviously getting ready to die anyways. 

The covid might have shortened his life span, but probably only by days or weeks, not years!