Have you ever encountered someone who was a long-time church member, but actually lived a very un-Christian life?

For example, have you ever known someone who was in your church for a long time, but it turned out that the person was a thief, a serial adulterer, convicted for fraud or something else, showing that the person really was not Christian?

In mine, one deacon was caught stealing funds from the offering plate.  Clearly that person has some issues and is not a "true believer".

Any other experiences in your church like this?

I'm looking for specific real-life examples of individuals. Thanks.

I have noticed hypocrisy in every walk of life.  From education, government, atheists, religious people, race relations, to sports.

• rodcom

Of course.  Many Christians are hypocrites thinking that everything they do is absolved by going to church on Sunday and putting money in the collection.

You dont even have to go to a church to see that behavior. You can see that demonstrated here daily by self professed christians who each say the others are not  '©TRUE CHRISTIANS'. So my answer has to be yes, on a daily basis.

My ex was a life long church goer, I am still not sure if he she was cheating on me or if I was the other guy. Really can mess with your mind. Seems contrary to the ideal of Christian ethics however it fits with human behavior quite well.

Almost every christian I ever met.  Some were humble enough to admit it.  Most, true to their culture, are in denial.

Not all ate thieves though, but you do need to watch catholics for that, the majority of them will cheat you any way they can.

OK, one example.  A local catholic hi.red Hubby to haul some used building material from the church.  They had given it to him, and he even had a paper from the church with permission to take it.  Hubby found out later, all those power tools they hauled, including table saw, and jointer, were not part of the bargain.  Somehow they had "disappeared" from the church, according to the paper.

Oddly, the church soon after that found them.

Many churches are run by pedophiles why are you surprised?  

Yes I have. I tried to warn my family but it didn't help. She just wanted a wall built around our house and he promised to do so. She paid him upfront and after some prodding he admitted he couldn't do what he promised. He shamelessly declared that he'd spent all the money and continued moseying on into church  like nothing ever happened. I hated seeing my mother like that but she was able to forgive him.  It amazes me that while he was a fake, a charlatan, thief and a shameless liar, she was able to let all that go and forgive.

Most church goers I know are like that.    

Oh, yes, absolutely! Tons of them. Churches are full of "evil" folks.