East
East asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 months ago

Why do people in the UK call the US “America”?

Every now and then you’ll hear someone in the US call the country “America” but the more usual term is “the US” or “the United States”.  And doesn’t calling the US “America” overlook Canada, which Her Majesty still owns?😊

The name of the place is the United States of America.  The adjective is American.

The name of the place is the United Kingdom.  The adjective is British.

Why do Americans call the UK "Britain"?

I think you're right. Although they picked the name United States of America it doesn't feel right to call it America since that is the name of the whole Continent. It is the same as calling South Africa Africa - it is just wrong and will lead to misinterpretations. I think it was a bad choice of a name. The same goes for the people; I'd rather call them united statians for 'americans' is already taken and refers to any people born in the american continent. 

This answer might hurt some feelings... 

Source(s): Using source tab as comment section for Yahoo cut it out: @Harry_Butts: I call myself American and I am not from the US and don't identify myself with that country. I'm American for I was born in the American continent.

For centuries now, when people around the world speak of "Americans" the ONLY people they're talking about are people from the USA.  And for centuries now, the ONLY people who have called themselves "Americans" are people from the USA.

Canadians call themselves, and are called "Canadians".  They have never, to my knowledge, called themselves "Americans" and nobody else has called them that, either.

• Elaine

The queen of the UK doesn't own Canada as we are an independent country. As for the US it's correct name is the United States of America so the citizens of the US calling themselves Americans is correct and has nothing to do with either Canada or Mexico. 

This is the United States of America. Some people shorten it to the US, some to America, some to the States. 

Are you an idiot?  I am from the Midwest and we all call it America.

• kswck2

Actually they call us The Colonies Across The Pond.