Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Tire pressure sensor fault? Is it possible the tire company damaged something?

I have a 2009 Ford Focus SE. I recently had a flat tire on my drivers side back tire and I got it fixed and a new wheel at discount tire. After I got it fixed 2-3 hours later the light popped back on and this time it said “tire pressure sensor fault” I took the car back up to the discount tire and they told me that it was an electric issue and I would have to pay $60 to get it fixed. I’m 21 this is my first car and I’m also a girl so honestly didn’t really understand what the guy was saying but this wasn’t a problem until now so is it possible they did something or didn’t put the tire on correctly? He told me that the pressure sensors on the other tires had already been replaced and this one specifically needed to be changed. I don’t know it’s just weird how it’s the tire that they specifically changed that’s causing this problem. Am I just overthinking it or do you think they could’ve possibly messed up something when fixing the tire? 

on a vehicle that old all the wheel TPMS sensors in the tires may be failing. They all have a battery which give out eventually. If it were my car I'd put a piece of black electrical tape over the light on the dash and buy a tire gauge and check the tire pressures every 2 months. The label under the drivers door latch lists what to set the tire PSI at.

After 11 years,be thankful that only one tire pressure sensor battery has gone dead.Expect more of them in the future.

• M.

It's interesting how the TPMS sensor failed right after that wheel was removed and the tire changed. 

Some of those tire changer monkeys are abusive to the car and the wheels. 

The TPMS has a tiny wristwatch type battery inside, and when it goes dead, the whole sensor needs to be changed. 

I'd want to see the sensor.  If it's cracked or has a gouge in it from a tire spoon, then I'd know they injured it. 

-General automotive mechanic since 1972

Tire pressure sensors have batteries and they go bad with age.   If your 2009 has the original sensors then they all need to be replaced.   I think the Focus does not tell you which tire is bad,  it just tells you a tire is low so it could be any tire and maybe not the one they worked on.   It could be something as simply as your need to put air in one of your tires.    Try that first,  it might fix the problem.  

At that age, don't be surprised the TPMS sensors are starting to fail. They are run by lithium batteries that run for years, but do die at some point. The battery is not replaceable.The sensors can be checked with a computer to tell if the battery is dead or weak, and even reset the sensor.  Look in your owner's manual to see what Ford says do when you change a tire, to reset the sensor. Ford does sell a resetting tool for about $35 to wake the sensor up after replacing a tire, but if the battery is dead, the sensor will NOT wake up and work. It will have to be replaced. Read what your owner's manual says about that.

The $60 fee is exorbitant, unless that includes installing a brand new sensor. The sensor itself may cost $50 and each wheel has one in it. There are cheaper aftermarket sensors, but don't expect them to be the same quality as OEM ones. I tried a set of aftermarket sensors from Kragen and they wouldn't even program, so I wound up buying the more expensive ones.The Bartec computer for programming TPMS systems is very expensive ( over $1000 ), so buying one for yourself is not a good choice. The Autel TS201 costs about $25 and can tell what the air pressure is and if the battery is good or not, but won't do any resetting.

21 is a good age to start reading owner's manuals and user guides. Good luck.

One guy said it has a tiny wristwatch battery. How wrong. The battery is about the size of a nickel- A Panasonic BR2450A  3 volt lithium cell with solder tabs and sealed in a layer of RTV. Yeah you can get a new battery, excavate and unsolder the old one and solder the new one in, but you have to break down the tire to get the monitor out, then remount the battery afterwards. No tire shop is going to replace the battery for you. If you're good with a soldering iron and can break down, mount and balance tires get you some. Lookit: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000975130669.html...

It's most likely a bad sensor that they did not damage . It was either damaged when the tire went flat - especially if you drove on the flat tire and damaged the rim, or it is original to the car. tire sensors rarely last more than 10 years, and cheap after-market ones 5 years. If that one weas original or a cheapo replacement, it was probably time  for it to be changed.

Get the sensors checked, repaired or replaced and move on.  If the sensor is the one that came out of the factory, it has returned your money.

• CB

You are probably due for new sensors - Bill is clueless - they don't replace sensors unless they ask you (not cheap) when replacing a tire (think about it Bill - all sensors may have been changed a year ago this is not an automatic thing to replace without discussion with the customer). 

10-11 year old sensors are near end of life so probably a coincidence it went bad. 

• Bill

The new wheel should have gotten a new sensor.  Ask them why they put your 11 year old sensor in a new wheel.