Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

Does Arnold Schwarzenegger last name translate into english as "black and black"?

German is sometimes confusing and tedious, even though modern German and modern English come from the same place. 

I am a native born American, like my parents, but my grandparents were all Europeans.  My mother's parents were both German.  While they were both from the countryside (farming life) and spoke a strange form of Low German (Plattdeutsch), my grandfather was educated in the big city, so he also spoke High German (Hochdeutsch).  And from these 2 people, plus book reading and conversations with other random German people throughout my almost 70 years, comes my knowledge of the language. 

I have several ideas when I see this family name Schwarzenegger.

First, we need to divide this name/word according to German language rules, to get rid of part of your confusion.

Schwarz/en/egger 

Schwarzen/egger

Schwarzenegg/er

No part of this word is "negger". 

The n goes with the previous part in all cases, leaving "egg" or "egger". 

Schwarz means "black". 

Schwarzen means "to blacken".  (schwärzen) 

Egg and ecke mean "corner" which also means a "ridge", as in a mountain ridge. 

So Schwarzenegg might mean "black ridge". 

There happens to be a city in Switzerland, and a place in Salzburg, Austria named Schwarzenegg. 

According to rules of German, a man from Schwarzenegg would be called a Schwarzenegger, and a woman from Schwarzenegg would be called a Schwarzeneggerin. 

My grandfather told me a long story decades ago (he died in 1985) that was something that his aunt told him when he was a child which he thought was funny, so he told me.  The word that he said sounds like egger is spelled, and it means the part that is left after coal is burned.  It's not "ash".  The word that he used in English, was klinker.  You had to clean the klinkers from the coal fired steam boiler every day.  They used to throw the klinkers on the ice covered walkways in the winter so it wasn't so slippery.  They also used to carry a bucket of klinkers in the car trunk in case they got stuck on snow/ice.  They would put some under the tires for traction. 

So between all these things I have suggested, maybe that's where the name Schwarzenegger is derived from. 

Sehr interessant, ja?

• Thomas

It means "Black Nut", like "Buchenegger" (beechnut), he is using as last name (Arnold Buchenegger) in "Last Action Hero".

• Gregg

I don't think so.  A German friend gave me a clock labeled Schwarzwald uhren explained the meaning of it.

It means someone who comes from the town of Schwartzenegg. The same thing works in English because English uses the same agentive suffix (er) as German. Example: "New Yorker".

Black and black translates to schwarz und schwarz.

You don't have to be a Rhodes Scholar to work out what Arnies name translates to.

No. It means that his family originated from a place known as "Black Rock".

• Zirp

It most definitely does not

"Egg" is an Alpine German dialect word for a steep rock. Schwarzenegger was originally meaning a person who lived near a shady or pine covered steep rock.