Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 2 months ago

Do you think what i did was right?

My high school bully walked by and said hi to me and wanted to hang out with me. He wasn't being mean or sarcastic and has changed throughout these 3 years but i couldn't care less i hurled some mud and small rocks at him and ran away with my motorcycle

He ruined my high school reputation and was the reason i didn't go to prom and do anything fun. Why should i forgive him. My best friend she said that it was very rude of you to act like that. How is being fair rude?

He's all "nice and well mannered now" but I won't forget the humiliation he caused to me. Thanks to him I've lost my honor and pride..

I understand your hurt, and I would want to run him over repeatedly with my car or kick him so hard between the legs, he wouldn't be able to reproduce. However, you could get in trouble for throwing things at him, especially if he gets injured. Your honor and pride can return; they are not lost forever. You sound so wounded. Have you thought of seeking therapy? No need to go through life carrying the burden of this awful pain.

• Alan H

His past bullying was no excuse for your immature reaction.

Yoiu couild simply have said no

You did the right thing.    

Look at it from another point of view.

1. If you were the bully and when you finally (genuinely) realized your mistakes, maybe the thing that you want the most is forgiveness from those that you hurt, because you are already sunk deep in your guilt and shame. At this time, you rejecting his apology might cause more hurt to him than you imagined.

2. Let's say you don't really care. He deserves the same feeling that he caused you when he was bullying you. Fine, but do you think if a kid is watching your behaviour, would he or she think highly of you? What defines us is not our past. Actually, a lot of unfortunate things happen to people, and we get hurt because of others' mistakes which have nothing to do with us, but it is our behaviours - our ability to forgive and rise above those circumstances that shows our true character. It is easy to take revenge and be the bully if we are bullied because we tend to mirror the behaviours that occurred to us, but I'm sure you'd agree we would all give our utmost respect to someone who forgives those that wronged them. Don't become a person with resentment just because others mistreated you. Showing that you have not been changed by bullies is the best way to show the bullies that you won.

• East

No, you haven't lost your honor or your pride.  Both are within your control.

High school was awful for a lot of people.  I don't doubt what you say about high school, but EVERYONE had obstacles then and a damaged reputation.

You have a choice: you can show the world that you're gracious and better than he is. And since he's repented (apparently), you ought to forgive him (that doesn't mean forget; it just means that you won't hold a grudge).

I was a bully in high school, to one person, and I feel terribly about it.  I got my head handed to me in high school because of it, and it's a lesson that I've kept with me for life. 

So you don't have to be warm to him and you don't have to even have anything to do with him.  But move on and take the high road.  That's actually the best way to show him- he'll see that nothing he did affects you now; he's that pitiful.

• Tj

Your best friend must have not seen what he did to you.  You should have also told him how you felt for the way he treated you, then go

• Jesere

So you bullied him..............

I don't think you should've handled it that way. I know what he did in the past really hurt you, but I believe we ought to forgive people and move on and not hold grudges and if he is a nice person now, I would just give him one more chance, but if you see he still hasn't changed then I would cut off all ties with him. 

It’s not good to fight fire with fire. But, he did cost you prom and a lot of self doubt or at least I assume by what you wrote so it may not have been the best idea but you should tell him it wasn’t ok and you won’t be talking to him or being friendly with him.